Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:06:34 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 + ESS Gcode for performing a homing cycle?  (Read 489 times)

Mach4 + ESS Gcode for performing a homing cycle?
« on: April 01, 2022, 08:41:07 AM »
trying this here for more visibility:

I have a fully custom CNC machine with a rotary axis.  I expect that over several thousand cycles my error will compound in the rotary to necessitate a homing cycle.

Is this possible to do in Gcode directly?  That would be the preferred method for my application.

I'll have a loop that completes 1 or 2 thousand times, and then exit the loop to home, and then renter the loop for the next thousand or so.

Advice?
Re: Mach4 + ESS Gcode for performing a homing cycle?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 10:37:55 AM »
Try the following

G28.1 – Home Axis

G28.1 physically homes the specified axes. If more than one axis is specified, then the axes are homed
in order specified by the control configuration. The values of the parameters are ignored except in the
case of P. If P is specified, the corresponding out of band axis is homed. Valid values for P are P6
through P11. P can only be specified once.
Format: G28.1 X__ Y__ Z__ A__ B__ C__ P__
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 10:46:48 AM »
Try the following

G28.1 – Home Axis

G28.1 physically homes the specified axes. If more than one axis is specified, then the axes are homed
in order specified by the control configuration. The values of the parameters are ignored except in the
case of P. If P is specified, the corresponding out of band axis is homed. Valid values for P are P6
through P11. P can only be specified once.
Format: G28.1 X__ Y__ Z__ A__ B__ C__ P__

Thank you

So just so I understand,

If I want to rehome the X, Y and A axis my code would be

G28.1 X Y A just like that with no other values?

I tried G28 ( I think ) the other day and noticed that it returned to home, but didn't go through the homing cycle itself where it has the approach velocity and then the return to position.  If it matters, I have to offset the Y axis and A axis by a value because when they're in home, the homing switches themselves are not visible.

Example, A axis homing is proceed until finding the home switch, the back off, then final position is -0.2675 which places the A axis out of interference while the machine is running.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
G28.1 X0 Y0 A0 is the normal format.
Without engineers the world stops