Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:53:47 PM

Author Topic: Can I Mix Micro Limit Switches with Proximity Sensors?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Can I Mix Micro Limit Switches with Proximity Sensors?
« on: March 20, 2022, 02:00:28 PM »
I bought these Proximity Sensor package few years back when I was finishing my last cnc (Mach3, G540, VFD, Water Cooled Spindle) but decided to use Micro Limits instead.

Now for my new cnc I decided to use for the first time ESS/C11G BOB instead of a parallel printer cable, and I wonder if I can mix these Proximity Sensors in Y/A/X axes with Micro Limit Switches in the Z axis. I will still use Mach3 for now.

I never used Prox. Sensors before and to my opinion it will be very difficult to locate these sensors on the Z axis due to limited space so I was thinking to install the Micro ones (Z+, Z-),

However my question is would mixing 2 different kind of Limits create complications?

Thanks
Nicolas
Re: Can I Mix Micro Limit Switches with Proximity Sensors?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 03:27:40 PM »
Hi,
why use a C11 breakout board?. You've gone to the trouble and expense of buying an ESS that has three parallel port equivalents....only to use one of them?

A C25 is a better unit. It plugs directly on top of the ESS, no ribbon cables required and it has two ports, ie 34 inputs and outputs and its less than half the price.
It does not have relays nor does it have a PWM circuit, which you would have to add, but you'd have two ports worth of IO, not one.

With the number of inputs you'd have to spare you could have one limit/home switch per input, and then you could mix them at will.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 07:07:36 PM »
All electrical items have been bought Joe as a package and you can’t get a ESS with only one parallel port. Perhaps in the future I may have a need for the extra ports.

I went for the C11 because I need the relays and felt will be easier to connect/control my Sherline motor with nothing more to add.

So you are saying there is no problem mixing the limit switches, many thanks.
Nicolas
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 07:40:28 PM »
Hi,
the problem is that with the C11 BoB you only have five inputs, so you have to mix the microswitches and the prox sensors.
It can be done but you are making it hard for yourself.

With microswitches it was common to link them altogether in series, if any one of them went open Mach would know about it.
You can't link prox switches in series, you can link the in parallel, but its a hassle.

Simple idea, get another C10 BoB and  use a second port of the ESS, with pins 2-9 as inputs, and now you have enough inputs to have
one switch one input, which is by far and away the best and simplest of solutions. A C10 is $23.00

Trying to combine switches is the 'old parallel port mentality'....whereas you have stepped way past that into a genuine IO paradise....take advantage of it!

Craig

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 09:47:40 PM »
Good idea Craig, thanks, but I have to think about it.$23.00 that’s USD + shipping + duties + taxes we come to about $50.00CAD. Plus I will need an extra ribbon to connect it to ESS and perhaps a 5VDC PS if I don’t have one. However I like the idea of having the extra inputs.

Kind of too early to think about it, still building the cnc frame now and I ordered the other electronics to get an idea of the control panel size.

I’m aware of the prox switches connected in parallel, true it’s a hassle, and that’s why I didn’t use them before.
Nicolas
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 10:02:40 PM »
Hi,

$23USD = $34.30NZD
15% GST(NZ Tax)=$5.15NZD
Shipping to NZ=$32.00NZD
TOTAL =$71.45NZD  or $62.20CAD

Given that New Zealand is 9,000-10,000 k's away...that sounds about right. Quite frankly I paid over $1800NZD just for ballscrews, a pesky $71.45NZD wouldn't slow me down.

Craig

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 11:12:01 PM »
I didn’t say I wouldn’t do it Craig, just right now I will not bother to order the C11 but when the time is right most likely I will. $1800NZD just for ballscrews? Most likely quite high end!

Nicolas
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 01:10:08 AM »
Hi,

$1800NZD just for ballscrews? Most likely quite high end!

Yes they are, and they are second hand at that!

Three by 750mm long 32mm dia ground C5 double nut (BNFN) by THK with six FK25 support bearings. Would probably be worth $3000NZD
each if I were to buy new.

Craig

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 03:02:55 AM »
Wow.. and even second hand? I guess the ground C5 and support bearings is the most cost but out of curiosity what the heck you are doing Craig and you need such a precision? Perhaps a machine shop?

In comparison for a set of linear rails and ball screws for 4 axes (approx. equal length as yours) I pay less than 50% and what I get is more than enough for my hobby needs. Have a look at this link, it shows what I built about 10 years ago and all are similar and dead accurate.

New Build (machsupport.com)

Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 03:08:34 AM »
For some reason the link was not clickable, hope I'm not doing something wrong guys

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=20984.0
Nicolas