Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 12:42:57 PM

Author Topic: Noob: Mach4 & Physical layout misalignment  (Read 781 times)

Noob: Mach4 & Physical layout misalignment
« on: March 07, 2022, 06:17:09 PM »
All -
First, very sorry for the noob-ish question.  I've spent a few hours going through historical posts and it's clear there's a lot of very experienced users here.  I clearly am not.  While a software developer by trade (25 years), I'm not a g-code nor Mach4 expert.  However, I do have a basic question that I'm likely not able to phrase correctly for the search algorithms here or on Google to assist.

So here goes:  Machine is an Avid 4896 and NEMA34s.  I leverage VcarvePro for design.  Exporting toolpaths from VCarve to Mach works fine.  With the exception that what appears to be an offset issue.  In VCarve I can place a component 1" from the front of the Y axis, but when exported to Mach4, I get maybe a 1/4" versus the 1" I was expecting.  All the other measures, spacing and distances are correct.  It simply appears that after homing my machine, somewhere between VCarve and Mach something is either getting lost or is misconfigured, and I'm at a loss as to where to even research. I've played with work offsets, and I can solve the issue my incrementing it until properly aligned, but this doesn't seem like a proper long-term solution - or the proper one.

Would someone please suggest an area of research that may assist in resolving this issue?  Again, apologize for the basic questions!
Re: Noob: Mach4 & Physical layout misalignment
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 05:53:20 AM »
if the machine isn't moving the distance you commanded then you need to calibrate the movement to the software commanding the motion controller. The software commanding it being Mach4.

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=45736.msg290531#msg290531
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 05:59:33 AM by compewter_numerical »

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
Re: Noob: Mach4 & Physical layout misalignment
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 07:33:11 AM »
In VCarve are you sure you do not have an offset on the job setup?
When you home your machine are the x and y positions in the diagnostics tab all 0?