Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 03:49:48 AM

Author Topic: Bit depth zeroing tool help  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Hobbs

•  28 28
    • View Profile
Bit depth zeroing tool help
« on: February 12, 2022, 02:44:34 AM »
hi all I've recently bought a new 8x4 Chinese 1325 CNC machine single cylinder, which is operating mach 3 something I'm new to having used ncstudio in the past. The machine came with its own z axis tool depth zeroing tool which is  wired up. If I touch it against the tip of a router bit the digitize light flashes up green on the screen, but nothing else. I'm unsure how to use this properly without damaging it in the process of finding out. Any help would be appreciated thank you

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
Re: Bit depth zeroing tool help
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 06:37:24 AM »
reading all your Threads/questions this manual:

https://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Mach3Mill_Install_Config.pdf

would be a good choice to start with.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 10:49:39 AM »
Mach 3 has an auto too zero button on the program run screen.  If you click on the "Operator" menu, then select "Edit Button Script" from the dropdown list, some of the buttons on the screen will start flashing, including this one.  Click on it - a little editor window will open up with code in it.  If it's like my copy was it will say Message( "Not Yet Implemented" ) which means the routine to do the autozero hasn't been loaded.  Whatever you see, report back here.  Close the window, and if it asks you to save click no.

If there isn't a script there fear not, there are several scripts around to do the job.  Could you describe the "z axis tool depth zeroing tool " that came with the machine?  Even post a photo?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 10:54:00 AM by JohnHaine »

Offline Hobbs

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 03:01:34 PM »
Hi thanks for your reply its height is 40.5mm and brass top diameter 18.5mm. I can post pictures if someone could tell me how to do it thanks all
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 04:14:24 PM »
To post a photo, clock reply (not quick reply) and then click on the red + sign next to Attachments and other options below the text box and choose the photo file.

Have you checked to see if there is some button script present as I described above?

Offline Hobbs

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 04:28:42 PM »
Thank you for the help, umyes sorry forgot to me toon I did check for the script and it was not yet implemented as you said. I'll post a photo of the tool with this message thank you
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 04:33:22 PM »
OK, a neat little button device.  Also working the digitise light properly. 

There are a number of tool height button scripts on here, I'll try to remember to find mine tomorrow and send a copy.

Offline Hobbs

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 03:32:20 AM »
Thank you, much appreciate, all the best
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 06:59:24 AM »
Right, I attach a copy of my macro.   Copy the file, rename it by deleting my initials at the end of the filename (so it's just M900.m1s) and pop it in the folder C:\Mach3\macros\Mach3Mill.

You will need to edit the file in two ways.  Open it using Operator/VB Script Editor, select and open M900.m1s, do the edits, save and close.

First, near the top there is a line:
PlateThickness = 38.84 'Touch Plate thickness is set here
Replace 38.84 with 40.5, which is your button height above the machine table.

Further down there is a line:
SetVar (2, 50) 'Retract height is set here
Replace "50" with the height to which you would like the tool tip to lift after referencing.  It should be greater than the button height!

Do the operator/edit button script thing again, click on Auto Tool Zero, and replace the text you see with Code "M900", then click close, and OK to save this.

Now close Mach3 and re-open it.  You should now find that you can use the tool zero button.  You jog the tool to just above the setter (a couple of mm), click the zero button, and it should move down slowly at 50mm/min until it contacts.  Then it stops, moves up 1mm, and moves down at 1mm/min until it contacts again.  Then it rapids up to the retract height you set, sets the Z DRO to read this, and stops.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 07:01:01 AM by JohnHaine »

Offline Hobbs

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 07:01:18 AM »
Thanks so much for this script works, and the auto zero button works the cylinder down. It
contacts the plate, but it doesn't rise the 50mm above it goes to the zs upper limit without triggering the limit switch error. I tried a test cut but it was high above the workpiece. Any ideas would be much appreciated as to why it might be doing this

thank you