Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 01:01:23 PM

Author Topic: Lua Chunk Error while running surface map wizard  (Read 670 times)

Lua Chunk Error while running surface map wizard
« on: January 28, 2022, 06:02:07 PM »
I am getting a Lua Chunk error every time I try to run Surface Map wizard. I tried to create a new profile and after the first few probe it stalled and kicked out a Lua chunk error.  Please let me know how to remedy this problem
Re: Lua Chunk Error while running surface map wizard
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 09:29:11 PM »
Hi,
this post should be in the Mach4 General Discussion board.

What it means is that when that particular piece of code is running the program expected a number, but got a nil....ie the number has never been initialised.
You need to open the Lua script and find the offending bit of code and work out why its doing it. Usually it means that you are not initialising a variable somewhere.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Surface map not working
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 04:33:26 PM »
I am having difficulty running the surface map wizard. Initially I was getting Lua Chunk errors. I created a new profile and the wizard does open now without issue. However, when I run  the wizard it is acting erratically. Sometimes it runs 5-10 points then quits and other times it does nothing.  I have yet to run a complete map. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tom
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 09:28:24 PM »
Hi,
I've only ever experimented with mcSurface Wizard, and it worked as advertised, but why are you using it repeatedly?
Really its supposed to probe the bed of the mill and thereafter subtlely manipulate the Z axis to have the toolpath be absolutely flat
when the bed of the mill is not. The anticipation is that you'd do it once and then leave it alone.

I found that the probing routine was too slow. I use Autoleveller, a software utility that probes a PCB blank and modifies the Gcode to accommodate any
warp or bow in the PCB blank. It works so much better than mcSurface Wizard.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 07:38:31 AM »
Craig, Thanks for replying. I am not using it repeatedly. I am just trying to get it to work once. I just hate the fact that it is beating me. Truth be told I don't really need it for most of my work. I have a Bridgeport mill that I converted to CNC. For most of my work I will face the surface before running subsequent operations. Occasionally I do engrave on thin stock and would like to be able to map the surface to ensure uniform depths. I will look into Autoleveler. Being that I am not the most tech savvy person out there please be prepared for questions.
Thanks,
Tom