Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 03:54:17 PM

Author Topic: Stepper motor trouble shoot  (Read 1545 times)

Stepper motor trouble shoot
« on: January 23, 2022, 04:17:30 PM »
I am having issues with my stepper motors. They seem to just die off then come back. Sometimes they'll make the proper sound and step really smooth momentarily then it goes back to what's in the video.

I've tested continuity on the coils, tried running parallel and in series. Same thing happens.

It even happens with the X axis with just moving the ball screw (which I cleaned and made sure run smoothly. It basically runs free flow if I tip the rod up and give it a touch of momentum to start). So hardly any resistance in the slide and ballscrew.

I've tried going very low velocity and acceleration to high and changing the steps and I just can't get anything to run smooth!

Running motors from stepper motor canada, drivers are the 2060 drivers from same site made for the nema 34 motors.

Db25-1R5AM BoB
60V 6A power source for each driver
Parallel port to mach3

One is 1200 ozin, other is 1700ozin.

First video is parallel x axis, second video is checking wiring and retrying as series.

https://youtu.be/j9VtYy1OCFM

https://youtu.be/1vZPP0_Hr0o

Thanks for any help!
Re: Stepper motor trouble shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 04:32:44 PM »
Check the PSU.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 04:42:43 PM »
Check the PSU.

What exactly should I check on the power supply..?

I am not familiar much with a lot of this - being a horse trainer by trade hahaha.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 05:25:55 PM »
Check the PSU.

If I tell X axis to move 5 inches and go and test the Amps going through the motor wire it goes from 5.9 - 7.2 mA (attached photos of A and B in next post) in both A and B coils. (Driver is set to keep amps at 5.4-6.5A with dip switches)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 05:29:09 PM by Kfischer »
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 05:30:27 PM »
A coil and B coil.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 05:15:19 AM »
It wasn't clear, do you have a PSU for each stepper?  Rather overkill.

What I meant was that this could be a symptom of the PSU(s) not being able to supply the maximum current, so when the steppers run the PSU current limit kicks in and decreases the voltage.

If you have set the stepper current as high as you suggest, and if the PSU current limit was set a bit low, this could easily happen.

What are you driving with the steppers to need such a large current at 60V?

A simple test: reduce the current settings on each driver to half or less of the value you have them set to and try again. 

Also put your meter on the 60V supply rail, set to read voltage, and look if the voltage dips.

Offline MN300

•  298 298
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 11:19:51 AM »
There have been posts about some parallel ports that were powered by 3.3 volts rather than 5 volts. The BOB expects a 5V interface.

How did you measure the current? A meter set to mA should have gone up in smoke if connected to the motor windings.

You purchased the high current drives and power supply so use a parallel connection as it has better torque.

Have you checked the 5V and 12V powers supplies for the BOB?

Are these the devices you are using?
DB25-1R5AM  https://www.steppermotorcanada.ca/db25-1r5am_nov_manual.pdf
D2060AC  https://www.steppermotorcanada.ca/jk2060ac_manual.pdf

Which motor, I assume you chose a 1200 or 1700 oz-in NEMA 34?
What's is your power supply part number?

The enable inputs can be left unconnected, the drive reduces current when not stepping and you can turn off power if you need to move the motor by hand.

A photo of your wiring diagram would help.

The more details you post the better the readers can help you.

John
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 12:53:12 PM »
Check the PSU.

Hey John,

I took the wires that power the drivers from the PSU and only giving me 1.8 - 2.2 amps.

So off to get a proper source. This ones suppose to put out 6amp but I guess not. Maybe 6amp total and 2 amp per terminal.

Thanks for ghe suggestion

Offline MN300

•  298 298
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 01:13:29 PM »
!.8 to 2.2 amps sounds reasonable. The drivers contain a switching power supply. They efficiently convert the input voltage to match the load.
If the 1200 oz-in motor standing by takes 5.8 A at 2.7 V (15.5 watts) the drive input current at 60V should be 0.25A (15.5 watts). Actually it's a bit more as the efficiency is less than 100%.
When stepping the inductance of the windings raise the voltage required and the power needed.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 01:27:28 PM »
!.8 to 2.2 amps sounds reasonable. The drivers contain a switching power supply. They efficiently convert the input voltage to match the load.
If the 1200 oz-in motor standing by takes 5.8 A at 2.7 V (15.5 watts) the drive input current at 60V should be 0.25A (15.5 watts). Actually it's a bit more as the efficiency is less than 100%.
When stepping the inductance of the windings raise the voltage required and the power needed.

Not sure I follow this.

I have talked with the seller of the motors and drivers and board and trouble shoot everything seems in working order and no miss wiring or faulty motor.

Here is a video of just the step pin wired with no weight on the motor. It still stalls or dies. To me, if all else is working there isn't consistent or proper power supply to the driver or motor. Drivers put out a steady amp to the motor fine it seems when tested so.

https://youtu.be/fDlTkeSJOhE