Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:45:05 PM

Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 4095 times)

Offline markn

•  29 29
    • View Profile
Newbie Question
« on: October 20, 2007, 09:52:39 PM »
Hi Guys,
I've been  watching the forum for awhile and have finally invested in a PC and Mach3 to do a retrofit to an older Bridgeport mill presently running an Anilam control  circa 1980's vintage. Anyways I haven't been able to get any response to the CNC4PC breakout board. I have the Mach3 running fine, the diagnostics page shows outputs on the  step and direction pins, and I have 5  volts powering the board,   the enable pin is powered and the chargepump on the breakout board is disabled, checked the parallel port address, everything appears to be as it should. When I use the MDI function and type a simple G0 move I can see the DRO scroll though to the proper disatnce  but no LEDS light up on the coresponding step and direction  pins on the breakout board.

Thanks, Mark

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 03:55:07 AM »
have you put a voltmeter on the parallel port cable  between your Dir pins and ground to make sure you have 5v when you jog  one direction and 0v the other.
 You can also confirm the Step pins are working by doing the same but you will only see a voltage change rather than the full 5V, the faster the jog the more volts you will see but its not important what the voltage reads just as long as it shows something.
Hood

Offline markn

•  29 29
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:53:41 PM »
Hello Hood,

Thanks for the advice, should have delved into the simplest  test right off, I was thinking the problem might lie in the setup. Having tested the voltages right at the Parallel  port on the PC, I have found that everthing is OK there  and I even went and check the output end of the cable and that is OK aswell. Must be a problem  with the breakout board.

Mark