Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:28:01 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 Update Help Needed (4.2.0.2803 upgrade to current Version)  (Read 999 times)

Hello. I have searched around and have not seen this covered. I have an older version of Mach 4 Installed (by the previous owner of the machine). The machine is an Anilam Knee Mill. It is currently using a CSMIO/IP motion controller. The PC is Windows 8.1 64 bit.

The machine has been configured and working since I have owned it. I have decided to upgrade in order to have probing capabilities. But no matter what I have tried it seems I will need to reconfigure all my parameters?

I have tried installing over the location I am currently using and then deleting the "Profiles" and "Plug In" folders from the new installation and then copy and paste from a copy of the original version. This allows me to add the CSMIO/IP and begin configuration. But I am still missing something since I get a "CSMIO/IP configuration failed! Possible Connection Problem." Message.

I have the CSMIO/IP plugin settings set the same as in my working version. I am not sure where the analog inputs and outputs are located in my old version of mach 4. I do see those sections in the newest version.

I feel like I'm probably missing something small or the order of operations in which I am doing things is wrong or something. But I have a few nights invested with no forward progress and the probe will be here and a job for it shortly behind.

I have also tried reinstalling several times. I have tried reinstalling the new software with what seems to be one of the newest backed up profiles. When I do this it seems the UI is the same as my old version but none of my parameters are there.

There is one more variable which may be connected. Mach 4 software is set (in bios? not positive how it is done) to open when the computer starts (or restarts). When this happens my original installation loads. Meaning the machine will work as original with the old UI and parameters. This leads me to wonder if I am doing the new install in the correct place on the c drive?

I have taken pictures of most of my parameters but am afraid I may miss something and loose my ability to reference the original installation I do have the folders copied off the C drive as instructed however.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Mach 4 Update Help Needed (4.2.0.2803 upgrade to current Version)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 11:46:37 PM »
]I've got several nights invested. Not sure what exactly I'm missing. I've tried just configuring from the new installation but I get a CSMIO/IP Configuration Failed message when I attempt to configure the plug in for the motion controller.  The machine still loads its last good instance (pre update attempt) at start up. So at least I can still run it. The probe will be here tomorrow guess it will live in the box a bit longer. I'm sure I'm missing something stupid.

I am still unsure about how analog i/o was configured in my previous software version. I don't see it anywhere in the menus.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 11:49:32 PM by MachineStuff »

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 05:49:58 AM »
Have you used the Package Profile from the Help menu in mach4?
From your working mach4 go into the Help menu and locate Package Profile then exit. from your new installation run Mach4GUI.exe and then Import the profile that you packaged.

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas

GOOMBA

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 09:28:00 AM »
Is the new version you installed the same version you're using on the other PC?
If not the plugins will be a mis-match for the two versions of MACH4 meaning you'll have issues.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 06:41:39 PM »
Have you used the Package Profile from the Help menu in mach4?
From your working mach4 go into the Help menu and locate Package Profile then exit. from your new installation run Mach4GUI.exe and then Import the profile that you packaged.

DazTheGas
[/quote

I have tried this. I have a better understanding of how the program is packaged than when I began but that is probably not saying much. My Problem is when ever I load my packaged profile that works properly I wind up back with the original GUI that doesn't have the probing windows or seem to support surface mapping. Could I some how just change the screen set to the new version after doing this? It seems more that it loads the entire old profile (but maybe I am mistaken?).

The good news is I realized there is a G31 probing cycle that works in the control. So I have been able to hand write some simple probing routines. I had hoped to leverage the other things built into the new version like surface mapping. Also bummed that the Fusion 360 post processor isn't configured for probing. But I am at least able to do some probing now with my old "profile".

I had attempted to just reconfigure the new installation but I am having problems with my CSMIO/IP giving me a CSMIO/IP Configuration Failed message.

Incidentally I can run my known good profile and have comms with the motion controller. In desperation I also attempted to update firmware on the CSMIO/IP Configuration. I am met with a message that the installer is unable to connect.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 06:55:03 PM »
Is the new version you installed the same version you're using on the other PC?
If not the plugins will be a mis-match for the two versions of MACH4 meaning you'll have issues.

I am using the original computer set up for this machine. I am trying to update the installation to the current version that supports probing through the GUI. The machine came to me with one folder on the c drive named Mach4Hobby containing an installation and another folder labeled Mach4Proto containing an installation. I have tried installing into both the folders. I have changed the name on the Mach4Proto folder (containing the profile that functions) and then installing into it. I've tried all kinds of things but there must be something I am missing...

I also tried changing the IP address to 10.1.1.2 to no avail. I can see the Mac address of the  CSMIO/IP after getting my new installation configured. But I can not seem to see any communication back from the controller. no Estop messaged, Probe input light in the GUI (it works on the controller and legacy profile) Etc...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 02:57:21 PM »
Its not just a question of installing and then using the latest screenset, in the profile that is working correct open up the screen editor and check the PLC and Screen scripts and even the button scripts as these could have custom functions that do not exist in the newer screensets.

DaTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas