Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:11:30 PM

Author Topic: Output always has voltage  (Read 2444 times)

Output always has voltage
« on: December 06, 2021, 08:46:30 AM »
I have a Warp9 ESS with a C11G & C25 board running Mach4. I am using an output  to send a signal to a 5v single channel switching relay controlling my spindle coolant. The output still has a 0.1-0.2 volts at the relay when it is supposed to be inactive. It is causing issues with the relay and being a pain in my neck. I have looked over my wiring multiple times and cannot find an issue that would cause this. Can anyone give me any advice how to clean up the output and keep zero voltagae when inactive?

I will greatly appreciate any advice.
Thanks ahead of time.
Re: Output always has voltage
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 05:54:17 PM »
Hi,
I can't say what the breakout boards are doing but the ESS is TTL output, that is, low is guaranteed to be less than 0.8V but typically as low
as 0.2V. I imagine that any buffering on the breakout boards will be a similar design, ie they will get close to zero volts but not actually zero.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Output always has voltage
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 06:37:26 AM »
Craig, thank you for your response.

As a newbie, I found that I had not been using the correct relay and the ground I ran along with the signal wire from the board.
I was using a relay with inputs of V+/V- and IN. There was no input for the signal ground, which I foolishly connected right to the ground going to the components.
I have since learned about the safety charge pump, and enabling it. I have moved my out put pin to a new pin for this relay to free up the pins/relay for the charge pump. For future add-ons. ;)
I also purchased a new relay, and got my grounds straightened out. The new relay has inputs VCC/Gnd and Sig/Gnd. I no longer have the issue with the rogue signal and the relay behaving oddly.
Who woulda thunk.

Thanks again for your reply, I truly appreciate it.
Rollin on! ;D