Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 01:40:52 AM

Author Topic: Machine Conversion - usb to parallel  (Read 1474 times)

Machine Conversion - usb to parallel
« on: November 30, 2021, 02:28:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and hoping for some guidance.  I am trying to convert a General i-Carver (also sold under the Olliver intellicarve name) from the current USB input controlled setup to one where I can use Mach3 via PC in lieu.  The machine curretly works by converting a .nc file to a .gee file via the iPicture application; loading to a stick and into the machine.  These are proving problematic given the lack of support for either the product or software.

Has anyone attempted this and if so if you can point me to some resources to help it would be appreciated!  Thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Re: Machine Conversion - usb to parallel
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 01:07:49 PM »
Hi,
there is no such thing as a USB-to-parallel converter that works with Mach3, it manages to lose all its critical timng.

My suggestion would be to replace the existing controller completely.

Given this is a new project then I would use Mach4, all development on Mach3 ceased seven years ago, whatever bugs it has its stuck with.
Nor would I bother with a parallel port. The parallel port was the only viable, cost effective solution in the early 2000's but its to limited to be considered
a good solution today when the cost of external motion controllers has come down so much.

I use Mach4 and an Ethernet SmoothStepper and a home made breakout board, but one or more C10's @ $23.00 each are perfectly good
breakout boards.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'