Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 11:37:50 PM

Author Topic: Mach 4 Wont save Configuration  (Read 809 times)

Mach 4 Wont save Configuration
« on: October 14, 2021, 10:20:50 PM »
I have just installed Mach 4 with an ess, that went well on Windows 10.

I am currently trying to configure the software, but I have run into a show stopper.  When I go into say, Config/Outputs, I enable Outputs 1-3 to be an ESS Port 1 pins P2, P3, and P4.  I hit apply, and OK.

When I go back into the settings screen, the outputs show no configuration.  The enable checkmarks remain, but the port and pin configuration is gone.
This happens on Inputs, Outputs, and several other screens.  I found nothing about it in the dox

HELP!

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 Wont save Configuration
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 09:14:49 AM »
They need to be set up in the ESS plugin first.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 01:25:39 PM »
They need to be set up in the ESS plugin first.

Everything is already configured in the ESS.

MG
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 04:04:57 PM »
Hi,
the ESS plugin can be a bit confusing and most likely the cause of the fault.

The first step in assigning any new input or output must be done in the ESS/Ports and Pins tab.
For instance lets say you wish to use Port2Pin10 for a probe. Then assign P2Pin10 in the Ports&Pins
and give it an alias, say ManualProbe.

Now, still within the ESS plugin, go to ESS/Inputs tab and scan down until you find the ISIG_PROBE input.
Enable it and select the port/pin input with he alias you chose earlier. Then close the ESS plugin.

This is where the ESS plugin is a bit cute and can confuse. In the native Mach Control plugin for the probe to be enabled settings have to be
made there also.....but the ESS plugin does that automatically. I can't remember all the situations where the ESS does this, but quite a few,
there are however quite a few settings you make in the ESS plugin which are NOT automatically set in the Control plugin. My recommendation
is therefore to open the Control plugin, go to the Inputs tab and confirm the the ESS plugin has correctly updated the Probe signal entry.

What you don't do is set the Control plugin directly.....because the ESS plugin will overwrite your setting or maybe the two settings are
mutually contradictory. The correct way is to allow the ESS to make the setting. The only time that is not true is when that facility is not
available to the ESS plugin....which admittedly is a reasonable list.

The last issue is when the new settings are flushed to the .ini file. It should in theory happen each time you close the plugin, be it the ESS plugin or
the control plugin, but it does not always happen that way whatever the theory is. If you want to be 100% that your new settings will be flushed
to the .ini file then close Mach and re-start.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 11:04:21 AM »
I had a similar behaviour with the machine units settings.....

What helped for me was to open mach, locate the config file in the mach folder, delete the file and close mach.  This forces mach to re write the config file and the setting stuck.

Maybe it will help!