Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:31:07 PM

Author Topic: Can anyone identify this machine?  (Read 1620 times)

Can anyone identify this machine?
« on: October 09, 2021, 07:32:15 PM »
I bought this CNC router from a man named Kwong Kim. He had owned it several years, and did not recall who he bought it from. Only that they had said they used it, for machining aluminum. It is a very well made machine, with steel (supported) rails, with 1.594" dia ball bearings riding against them on 2 sides. The X and Y drives are gear rack and pinions, driven by toothed belts with toothed pulleys. The belts are in good shape, but I would like to know the specifics, for the day when they are no longer in good shape. I have searched all over the machine, and not found any sort of labels, or identifying marks from the manufacturer.
  It is driven by Mach3 (the computer was included in the purchase, with Mach3 already installed). The frame is all aluminum, and features a satin finish, so I am not sure if it is T6061 or 2024, or What? If this was a home-built machine, my hat is off, to the person who designed, and built this machine. Most of the frame components are aluminum I beam-like. I say "Like", because instead of a traditional T at the top, and bottom of the I beam, they sort of taper out from a center thickness of about 0.25" to the T thickness of 0.695" The T slot table seems to be extruded aluminum, which accommodates 1/4" T bolt hold-down clamps from Rockler. Does anyone recognize this machine? Sound off! Thanks! -Michael
Re: Can anyone identify this machine?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 07:38:20 PM »
I forgot to mention, the router on this machine is a Porter Cable Model 75182. It is a Production Router with variable speeds from 10,000 to 21,000 RPM.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 11:20:06 PM »
I have been documenting this machine for the past couple of weeks. And upon closer inspection, it seems to be GLUED together with some type of silicone. There are allen bolts holding things together at critical points. My thought is, since Kwong said the person he bought it from had said they "used it to cut aluminum" is that the silicone adhesive they used would accommodate coolant. It is the custom shapes of the aluminum extrusions which leads me to believe this was a kit, of some sort. Perhaps across the pond. TWEAKIE, are you familiar with this?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 12:28:09 AM »
TWEAKIE, are you familiar with this?

Sorry but I have never seen this design advertised for sale in the UK.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 11:30:41 PM »
Thanks for your response, Tweakie. I am still searching for anyone who recognizes it.