Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:16:11 PM

Author Topic: Pokeys57CNC configuring parallel port pins  (Read 612 times)

Pokeys57CNC configuring parallel port pins
« on: October 01, 2021, 12:04:44 AM »
 I currently using Mach3 with a parallel interface with the following pins defined:

LPT1 Pin Definitions

pin#  Pin function                              Pin I/O     Description______________________ 
1       active low mist control output.    output    turn on/off mil coolant.
2       X-AXIS step                               output    step X
3       X-AXIS direction                         output    X direction to step
 4       Y-AXIS step                               output    step Y
5       Y-AXIS direction                         output    Y direction to step
6       Z-AXIS step                               output    step Z
7       Z-AXIS direction                         output    Z direction to step
8       A-AXIS step                               output    step A
9       A-AXIS direction                         output    A direction to step
10     Probe                                         input      sense tool surface
11     ESTOP                                        input      emergency stop
12     LIMIT/HOME                               input      limit switch closed on any axis (x,y,z,a)
13     Not used                                    input      currently not used
14     PWM Laser                                 output    pulse width modulation for LASER power.
15     N/A                                            N/A       not available on my BOB.
16     Spindle relay                              output    turn on/off spindle or LASER air assist pump
17     Stepper driver rest                      output    active low signal to stepper drivers to place
                                                                       axis in rest state(hand moveable.)
18-25 GND                                          N/A        grounded pins.

I plan on connecting the Pokeys57cnc parallel port to my LPT BOB(break out board.) I will retain the ability to switch back to my computer parallel interface by simply disconnecting the PoKeys57CNC parallel connector from my BOB and connecting my computer LPT cable. Here is my plan:

1) The stepper direction and step pins are the same in both cases. I assume I don't have to configure them on the PoKeys57CNC except the step direction reverse where needed. Is this correct for Mach3?

2) The other pins are quite different. It appears that I will have to jumper the ESTOP pin on my BOB to pin #4(routed to Pokeys57cnc pin #55 through the PoKeys57CNC Nest jumper)  of the Pokeys57cnc pendant 26 pin IDC connector. If possible, I would rather reassign Pokeys57cnc pin #55 directly to the PoKeys57cnc parallel port pin #11 as shown above. Can that be done? I am assuming, I can reassign the input pins #10-13 on the Pokey57cnc parallel connector as shown in my pin map above.

3) I will need to reassign the input pins #10-#13 as shown above. Can this be done in the Pokeys57cnc plugin configuration menu PoKeys mapping? If so where can I find the mapping between the PoKey57cnc parallel port pins and the Pokeys57cnc pins(as defined on PoKeys mapping configuration menu?)

4) Finally, I will need to reassign the output pins #1,#14,#16,#17 on the PoKeys57cnc parallel port as shown in the map above. Is this possible? I will need the mapping of of parallel port pins to Pokeys pins as described in"3" above. Also, will I need to us the special mach3 mapping name #1-#6 when mapping PoKeys pins to the spindle and misting function?

I would appreciate any help with these questions for the Mach3 plugin. Thank You in advanced.

Sincerely,
     Tom VDH

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 12:19:25 AM by tvonderhaar »
Re: Pokeys57CNC configuring parallel port pins
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 02:49:44 AM »
I have discovered that the PoKeys57CNC parallel port pins are not mapped to PoKeys pins(with two exceptions, output only PoKeys pin #20 & pin #45.) Theses parallel port pin signals are dedicated functions of the Pulse engine. They cannot be modified or changed. The inputs can be left unused and replaced or combined with the dedicated pulse engine inputs on the 12 pin screw terminal(Limit+) and the 20 pin IDC connector limit-/home connectors. Pokeys pin #20 can be setup for PWM, but currently with MACH3 PoKeys pin #20 can only gate the PWM signal using the M3/M5 commands. PoLabs says they may support M11pX commands in the future. PoLabs believes PWM vs feed rate can't be supported with MACH3 but they do support it in MACH4 plugin. Also, PoLabs told me their next release of the board firmware will not be be backward compatible with their older PoKeys scheme but, will be a clean slate hopefully supporting AXIS limit+/limit-/homing sharing on a single/multiple inputs of the parallel port pins. Hopefully the inputs/outputs will be mappable such that the parallel port can truly replace any current computer LPT controlled CNC machine. Just unplug the computer LPT cable from your BOB(Break Out Board) and plugin the cable from the PoKey57cnc Ethernet controller card. I hope I cleared up my own questions.
TomVDH