Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 03:38:52 AM

Author Topic: How do I upgrade from a nMotion V5.0 Mach3 USB CNC Controller to Mach4 please?  (Read 1062 times)

I have a ChinaCNCZone HY-3040 5 Axis Router running Mach3.
The motion controller is a nMotion V5.0 Mach3 USB CNC Controller.
ChinaCNCZone advise that this board is not compatible with Mach4, which seems logical given it's name.
What do I need to do to run Mach4 on this machine?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
You will need to select a controller that has a Mach4 plugin.
Then install it and change wiring and settings as needed.
I suggest going to an Ethernet controller and not a USB one.
Thanks Bill,
Any recommendations as to controller, or are they all pretty much OK?

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
I am sure everyone has a favorite.
We use the ESS from Warp9.
Just remember this will be a lot of work rewiring all the connections and getting all the settings correct.

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
With a 3040 type machine, I assume that you need Step/Dir control.  I like the PMDX, ESS, Pokeys, and the HiCON controllers (in no particular order) for Step/Dir control.  They are all good controllers.  All of them will blow away what you have.  Pick one that fits your budget or machining preferences.  You will want to make sure whatever you pick can run your spindle drive.

Steve
Migrating from Mach3 to Mach4 ESS

Just remember, this will be a lot of work rewiring all the connections and getting all the settings correct.

Been there, done that !

Charles in Texas

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
beware of the wiring it may contain surprises

on my mill ( different manufacture to yours ) they had inserted 4.7kohm resistors into the wires in the loom to give some current limiting action took me a while to figure out why the wires did not test out as I expected , why they did it that way is beyond belief why not do it at the termination .

took me about a week to sort it all out the spindle was the worst as it wanted to go 100% before the ESS took control
mill spec 9 limits 4 axis and a spindle F and R .the real rub was no cable numbers and all the same colour and no wiring diagram.

but its a good job I worked on controls and heavy power when I was in work 24 years ago