Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:23:18 AM

Author Topic: Teknic ClearPath SD Servo Upgrade Y Axis not staying parallel  (Read 1443 times)

Teknic ClearPath SD Servo Upgrade Y Axis not staying parallel
« on: September 18, 2021, 10:58:37 AM »
I recently upgraded my 425oz NEMA23 steppers to 620oz NEMA23 ClearPath servos, during the shake down phase, the Y axis consisting of leadscrews and two motors YL and YR will not remain parallel while either just moving the Y axis or during test cuts.  In Mach3 the Y and A axis are slaved.  I auto tuned the X axis, transferred the motor configuration to both Y motors, fined tuned the Y motors due to some humming.  Machine is square and YL and YR are mechanically identical, motors are directly coupled to leadscrews.  Executing a G0Y42 and G0Y0 command sequence ten times with spindle in middle of x axis; the result was a 5 to 8.5 mm un-parallel Y axis.  Any suggestions or troubleshooting procedures would be greatly appreciated, as I'm moving from just Operator to Operator/Technician of the machine.
Re: Teknic ClearPath SD Servo Upgrade Y Axis not staying parallel
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 10:01:55 PM »
Hi,
how wide have you set the following error window?

If you set it to say 15, that is 15 encoder counts then if a servo gets at worse 15 counts away from where its supposed be it should alarm out.
The fact that it can get so far out tells me you have not tuned the following error window. When they come from the factory the following error window
is set wide, very wide as a rule so that you don't get nuisance alarms while you are tuning up. You have to set the window much narrower once
you have it tuned.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Teknic ClearPath SD Servo Upgrade Y Axis not staying parallel
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 01:45:00 PM »
Hi cwps,

I am an applications engineer with Teknic and came across your post.  The ClearPath motors you are using can be helpful to troubleshoot the issue you are seeing.  By connecting to the ClearPath motors through the USB port on the back of the motor, you can see the motor’s current position, torque, and tracking error in real time.  Using this information, you can bisect the issue to help narrow down the possible causes.

If you move from G0Y0 to G0Y42 you can note the motor’s measured position at the beginning and at the end of the move.  If the distance traveled is the same for both motors, then the issue with squareness is mechanical in nature (alignment of screws/rails, slipping couplings etc.).  If the final positions are different, then the issue comes from the motors receiving a different command so you should check your settings in Mach 3 to makes sure the motors are being sent the same number of steps (and that the motors input resolutions are set correctly).

You also may find it helpful to review this video on how to use the MSP software oscilloscope to collect more information on the motor’s performance and your mechanics.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITCtQLWI7XI

If you have any additional questions feel free to contact us at https://www.teknic.com/contact/

-Brendan F. Teknic Servo Systems Engineer