Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 01:58:16 AM

Author Topic: Endomatic - double ended bar facing & centreing.  (Read 664 times)

Endomatic - double ended bar facing & centreing.
« on: September 07, 2021, 03:54:19 AM »
Hello, just getting in to this as I have the above machine, can Mach 4 have 2 Z axes ?  ie for those that don't know the machine it is a simple twin horizontally opposed milling spindles with single axis on each and a centrally mounted single height adjustable (for different diameters) clamping device, what I would like ot do is :-

a) control the spindle speed
b) control the vertical position of the central clamping device
c) control the "Z" position and feed rate of each milling head

I think that's all.  Could anyone offer any advice for this please ?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Endomatic - double ended bar facing & centreing.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 06:03:33 PM »
Its hard to say without knowing a bit more. But

Mach3 and Mach4 are 6 axis controllers but all axis are blended together so both ends would start and finish at the same time.

Maybe one end could use X axis and the other Y axis and centre height could use Z axis.

but if it faces and centres with more than one tool then its not going to be easy.  If you use a spot drill with a facing and chamfering cutter in one then I can see it working.

The other option is you use Mach4 Industrial and 2 Galils and use the multi planner option where each end runs a separate g-code file with wait codes to sync them.  Its a wild ride at first but well worth the flexibility you get.

Without engineers the world stops
Re: Endomatic - double ended bar facing & centreing.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 09:18:56 AM »
That sounds ok, I was thinking maybe different axes for the left & right, its got 2 different spindles which must move independent to each other as one shaft has a 90mm oil bore and the other end is 45mm deep, as long as I use carbide drills I shouldn't need to centre drill it first, so the MACH4 Industrial sounds like its the correct unit to use, where do I purchase such a unit ?  also how would it drive the various motors, would I need to fit ball screw and rotary encoders ?