Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 06:30:51 PM

Author Topic: Current Position not updating  (Read 1191 times)

Current Position not updating
« on: August 27, 2021, 02:39:22 PM »
If anyone can help me with this problem, I'd be so grateful....

The Current Position does not update when I move any axis. The Machine Coordinates on the diagnostics screen shows my position, but the Current Position values don't change. I'm homing with limit switches, and that all works fine. Everything else seems to work as normal, but I cannot figure out how to fix this.

I'm running Mach4 Hobby, and a HICON Intgra 7766, with steppers and no encoders.

Cheers.
David.
Re: Current Position not updating
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 06:55:54 PM »
Hello.
In my case, I'm having trouble getting close to the problem with you.

Basically, does the probe LED blink on the Mach4 diagnostic screen?
When the probe touches the object to be cut, the Plobe LED will light up.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 01:34:03 AM »
Hi Toshio,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a probe set up yet, and the LED doesn't blink. I'm not getting any errors, and the system jogs X,Y and Z without any problems, including homing. The problem I have is when I jog any of the 3 axes, the DRO for Current Position doesn't change at all, but the Machine Coordinates DRO updates live as you would expect.

Thanks again.   
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 02:41:04 AM »
I can't tell if I can figure out the cause in the future.
But I'm curious, so I'd like to ask you.
How are you setting up Mach4?
Please show me the pictures that seem to be related.

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 04:45:31 PM »
DFitz,

It sounds like you have turned on the encoders for position feedback in the HiCON plugin.  Also check that nothing in the screen load script calls mcCntlDroSetUseAuxPos() or mcCntlDroSetUseAuxPosAxis().

Steve
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 07:58:25 AM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback.
I don't have encoders enabled in the HiCON plugin. I set the encoders to undefined from the start, and also tried setting to StepGen after reading through some HiCON manuals - no difference.
I've just checked the ScreenScript, and there is no reference to either of those functions anywhere.

I updated the firmware, FPGA and plugins this morning, and restarted everything.... no difference. I also noticed that if I click on the values in the Current Position DRO on the Diagnostics screen, the values change... usually increasing by 15 or 20 units.
I've also tried running Mach4 on two difference PCs, but have the same problem on both.

I don't have any errors when moving, so I have no idea where to go next....

Thanks again for your time.

David.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 10:28:09 AM »
The problem I have is when I jog any of the 3 axes, the DRO for Current Position doesn't change at all, but the Machine Coordinates DRO updates live as you would expect.

I don't know if will help you but that happened to me on other dros few times. I make some changes to screen and suddenly a dro not updating, restart mach4, restart pc nothing help.
I delete the dro and put it again and then it work, if i recall right one time i delete and put it twice to make it work.

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 12:11:28 PM »
I have had the DRO problem with most all mach4 versions after 4612 not getting updated, so i just want back to 4612 and then all worked again..

I did leave support a ticket on this problem but never got a response, so just use version 4612...

Gary
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 12:33:22 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Pretty embarrassing, but it was my stupidity that caused the problem. I had Motors 0-2 enabled in the Aux. Positions tab.

Thank you all for trying to help, much appreciated.