Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:23:57 AM

Author Topic: Need Help... Laser cutter running on mach3  (Read 1072 times)

Need Help... Laser cutter running on mach3
« on: August 17, 2021, 04:25:31 PM »
I built a CNC Laser cutter a few years ago, it has been running fine until a few days ago.
First the X Axis failed and when I tried to cut something it just draw a line parallel to the Y Axis.
I replaced the motor controller and it worked just fine. A few days passed and it started to have some issues in the X Axis, this time there is some misalignment in complex cuts, I run some tests and the problem amplifies the more the axes are moved. I've tried every idea I had for the last week or so, like verifying every connection, replacing the motor, replacing the mach3 controller, I even reconstructed the axis in hope it was some mechanical issue and now it happens in both axes. I've run out of ideas.
Attached is a photo of the problem, I cut the rectangle then move both axis and rerun the gcode, but the cut is misaligned from the original.
If any of you guys have had the same issue or have some idea of what might be causing the problem, I would be extremely grateful if you share it with me.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help... Laser cutter running on mach3
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 08:26:56 PM »
Could be that you are loosing steps. To test for this try reducing the Velocity and Acceleration, in Motor Tuning by 50%, then apply the changes, for both your X and Y axis.
Does this change the results ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 12:02:42 PM »
Hi Tweakie, thank you for replying so quickly.
I've already tried reducing the acceleration and velocity in previous  attempts, but to be sure I adjusted the parameters to the indicated ones, and somehow, I got worst results (picture bellow)…
Some piece of information I forgot to mention, the misalignment always happens towards the positive axes, in not a single test it has happened in the negative axes.
Thank you all for reading an comenting.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 05:38:56 PM »
Can you attach your <your profile> .xml file which is in your Mach 3 folder. This will allow us to replicate your Mach3 settings and try to find the problem.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 07:01:01 PM »
Here is the file, hopefully it helps. Thank you Tweakie.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 03:51:21 AM »
I have test run your .xml file here and cannot find any problems with your mach3 settings. Your offset subsequent toolpaths are bit of a mystery - could it be mechanically related to your machine ?
Could you attach your Gcode file.

From your pictures, the attached...
pic.1 indicates some sort of machine rigidity problem causing a wobbly toolpath ?
pic.2 indicates excess burn at the start / end of the toolpath - perhaps you are not using the M11Px / M10Px commands for your laser switching ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 11:50:59 AM »
Hi all, after weeks of trial and error I manage to get the CNC working. After exhausting all the tests I could come out with, in one last desperate attempt I decided to change the Mach3 with Arduino (which I'm a little more experienced with), after all the wiring and troubleshooting the machine worked perfectly. Nonetheless I was not able to accurately pinpoint the malfunction. I hope this helps someone.
Thanks to all and specially to Tweakie.