Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:31:28 PM

Author Topic: New Mach4 install and having motor problems  (Read 699 times)

New Mach4 install and having motor problems
« on: August 14, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »
I have searched and watched all the youtube videos and cannot come up with an answer.

Brand new computer with windows 10
Old Lathe control panel with zero wiring changes. Added ESS smoothstepper and plugged the old parallel cable into the new ribbon cable
Installed mach and setup the smoothie
Configured everything to what I believe is correct. Checked many times

X and Z axis will only jog one way and they move together. I have X configured on pins 2 and 3 and Z configured on pins 6 and 7. I have checked at least a dozen times to be sure that X is motor 0 and Z is motor 1. I switched back and fourth between the smoothie setup and the mach4 setup but I have to believe I missed something or clicked something that should not be clicked.

Anybody ever have this kind of thing happen to them? If someone could maybe some things to check? I can post photos of setup screens if that will help. I have been running licensed Mach3 for 15 years so this upgrade to mach4 is alot of "new" for an old fart. Im stumped!

Thanks in advance for any kind of help.
Re: New Mach4 install and having motor problems
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 03:01:15 PM »
Not sure if it helps but ONLY the X axis dro is changing but the Z motor is moving right along with X
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 09:23:38 AM »
OK so I tried to start from scratch. I reinstalled everything. Ran down the Warp9 installation guide step for step. Everything seems to be doing what its supposed to. X+, Z- & Z+ jog buttons make both motors move at the same time in the same direction. X- jog button does nothing. I think the ESS must be bad. What else could it be?
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 02:08:21 PM »
Hi stevehuck,

I don't have the same setup as you.  But this sounds strangely familiar to one of the symptoms shown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGi3QxAHkY&t=139s

Check it out at the 1:00 mark.  (Bad connection in direction signal)

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 04:10:49 PM »
Problem is solved. I replaced the Female DB25 breakout board with a male DB25 BOB and plugged the ribbon into the BOB without the parallel cable. Also moved the common wire from GND to pin 25 which is also GND so I dont know why but it works. The schematic shows pins GND to 18 being bonded together. 7 dollar BOB with 7 dollars worth of documentation.