Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 07:45:03 PM

Author Topic: Newbie Question Gcode  (Read 3913 times)

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
Newbie Question Gcode
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:19:07 PM »
Hi all!
I'm new to this GCode, and two basice questions.

1. Whenever a G code is excuted does it remain in effect until it is canceled by another code, IE G0 (Rapid Travel).

2. Where in Mach3 do you set your rapid travel? Settings / Rapid Override?

Thanks for any help!!

olf20
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Question Gcode
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 04:16:23 AM »
Hi Olf20

G00, G01, G02, G03 are known as modal, they are in effect until another is commanded or a G80 is commanded.

Rapid setting are set by the motor tuning.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:14:12 AM »
Thanks Graham!

So to set the max speed of my machine I should do it in the motor tuning on each axis?

What is the Rapid Override for on the Settings screen?

Is G0 and G00 the same??

Thanks again!!

olf20

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 11:42:30 AM »
Yes G00 and G0 are the same - on some programs you see G00 and on others you see G0, and with Mach3 case does not matter either.

Graham told you about modal commands - those that stay in effect until another comes along either to change or cancel it. HOWEVER you will find, if you are just starting out with G Code, if you are writing your own stuff, it is better to put the command in again (it doesn't matter) so that each line is self contained, or at least each "paragraph" is. When you are debugging, it is a lot easier to have the code there in front of you, than have to run back through the program to see the last modal command.

As far as speed override is concerned, you will find, if you are set up in inches, then change to metric, Mach3 changes to metric, but it also changes speeds to metric e.g. my max speed is 4 inches p.m. but this changes to 4 mm p.m. if I change. I can overrirde this and change it up to 100 (the equivelant of four inches)- without touching the motor tuning page again and alter all the settings on there.

Don't ask me why I can only get four inches a minute out of my steppers, it must be a combination of the motor, the gearing and the lathe (a Warco metalworking lathe). I can get the motor to turn faster but then they start to judder etc and miss steps. I will have another go at them soon, but at the moment I'm limited to 4 inches!!
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 07:58:36 PM »
Thanks jimpinder!
I've been working with / on computers for about 35 years. I started out programming in basic and when the PIC microcontrollers came out I was back to where I started many years ago. Some of the logic and structure seems to be about the same in Gcode.
Your and Graham's comments have helped me a lot!!!
I'm sure I will have other questions as I get more demanding from our machine and Gcode.
Thanks again!!
olf20

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:28:22 AM »
I'm quite sure you will pick up the fundamentals quite quickly. I only started in earnest about 6 months ago. Like you I was around when basic ruled (on a Sinclar Spectrum), I've done PIC chips and now I did CNC (as another branch to my hobby - miniature railways)

If you are at home with Basic - look at the Visual Basic macros (see the video tutorials) - you will feel quite at home there.

Jim
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.