Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:06:03 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 and Gecko G540 stepper motor heat  (Read 627 times)

Offline Cary

•  17 17
    • View Profile
Mach3 and Gecko G540 stepper motor heat
« on: August 06, 2021, 02:18:20 PM »
Hello,
I build a CNC and I am using Mach3 software to run my equipment. My Gecko G540 stepper motors get excessively hot while idle.  Is it possible to change configuration settings in Mach3 to get the stepper motors to disengage while at rest? With the Gecko G540 controller. I have solved the problem of the controller itself heating up but would like some input on how I can keep the stepper motors themselves from getting so hot. I was told that the controller keeps the stepper motors engaged while on and stationary, this causes the stepper motors to stay active and even while not moving, resulting in the excess heat. I was also told that this can be avoided by installing a 3K resistor between pins 1&5 on each 9pin output cable. This tells the controller to disengage the steppers while not in use. I am looking for verification on this method.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 and Gecko G540 stepper motor heat
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 12:58:50 AM »
Stepper motors should run hot to the touch but they should be current limited to keep the outer case temperature below a maximum of say 60 deg.C.
The Gecko G540 manual has the information on the selection of current limiting resistors which can be used. https://www.geckodrive.com/g540-4-axis-digital-stepper-drive.html
It’s a long story but because stepper drivers use microstepping and do not have position memory then disengaging them during use will cause loss of position so the G540 keeps them engaged when stationary. The Gecko documentation has far more details. https://www.geckodrive.com/support/step-motor-basics.html

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Cary

•  17 17
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 and Gecko G540 stepper motor heat
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 04:24:35 PM »
Thank you. I did read the material and found the answer to my question. That being, that there needs to be a 3.5K resistor for a 3.5amp stepper motor, (in this case a Nema 23) installed between pin 1 and pin 5 on the output 9 pin cable to the stepper motor to reduce the input amperage.