Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 02:01:09 PM

Author Topic: Parallel port question to start with  (Read 1735 times)

Offline 703E5

•  10 10
    • View Profile
Parallel port question to start with
« on: July 23, 2021, 09:47:47 AM »
Hi,
So, finally finished the mechanical and electrical build of my 'on-a-budget' Frankenstein CNC machine.
It didn't work !!!!! So started to do my diagnostic investigation.
I am sure that as i go through this process i will be posting a lot ;D
Running Win 7 32bit, parallel port on a PCI.

As a starting point can anybody answer me this, when i loaded in a fresh copy of Mach 3 after playing with the demo - wanted to make sure anything i had 'accidentally' changed would not cause spurious issues later. One of the dialogue boxes had a tick on parallel port. Should i have un-ticked that as i'm using the PCI slot?
Did run driver test and got 'system excellent' banner.
Thinking that that means its ok?
All config bits and pieces filled out - correctly i think.
BOB (cheap Chinese - BB5001 (HY-JKM5)) illuminates small LED (power on), when i jog get no motor movement etc but do get LED by driver connection lighting up (although a little dim). I/O on diagnostic page (limits) also change state.

Am wondering if the BOB has the incorrect pin allocation, nothing came with BOB and could only find one helpful document which was Russian.  ::)

Any hints/help gratefully :) received.

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel port question to start with
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »
You should have ticked parallel port, but also you will have to change its address.
For example, I'm using standard parallel port for motion control and second parallel port, which is PCI card for pendant.
Addresses are as follows: Standard port, on motherboard: 0x378, PCI board parallel port has 4 hex digits (I'm not by the machine at the moment)
You will have to power your BOB (that's why there is an usb port :) )
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.

Offline 703E5

•  10 10
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel port question to start with
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 01:34:14 PM »
BOB is powered by seperate 5 vdc supply.
Will start looking into hex address,  although because I am getting diagnostic page seeing manual breaking of limit switch actually think port address must be good??