Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 09:36:11 PM

Author Topic: What's the proper way to pause a run for an end of shift scenario?  (Read 641 times)

I am trying to pause a run that will not finish the day it is started and I am sure it's something simple but for the life of me I have not been successful. I have tried Feed/Hold, Feed/Hold and Cycle Stop, and probably a few other things but when I restart the run it starts just fine until it clears what I am assuming is in the buffer then it proceeds to make out with the spoilboard below it! I seriously doubt that everyone babysits their machine until it's done regardless of how long.

I have been repeatedly warned by my spoilboard that it's not that type of board and it's going to revolt if it keeps getting these sneak attacks.

Any help in giving my spoilbpoard and I a lasting relationship would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ~ Demenchylde
Mach4 Hobby
Warp9 ESS
Windows 10
XHC WHB04 Pendant
Re: What's the proper way to pause a run for an end of shift scenario?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 04:11:32 PM »
What do you mean by

when I restart the run it starts just fine until it clears
If you feedhold and then that stops your machining process entirely. 
If you feedhold the machine for a period of time and hit cycle start again, what exactly happens?
I don't think I've ever had an issue like this. 
I have jobs that will wait on toolchanges over night and I come in the next day and change the tool with no issues. 
I've hit feedhold on a machine before and went to help other people in the shop to come back and hit cycle start again with no issues.
Chad Byrd
Re: What's the proper way to pause a run for an end of shift scenario?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 04:29:28 PM »
When I restart the run the next morning on my mach4 machine it will continue on where it left off just fine, for a little while that is. It seems as if it looses or forgets its Z position when it raises up to center itself for another pocket cut it will eventually bury the spindle into the material. X & Y seem unaffected. I am using that example because it just happened this morning. I have a smaller router that is running UCCNC and feed/hold overnight is just fine. Restarts and continues on just as it should.

I should add that I just had to upgrade my mach3 computer because it finally died. That meant a new Warp9 Ess to go with it. I never really had a need for pausing a job back then as the machine was setup as a plasma cutter so all day runs never really happened.

How do you stop your machine for the night?