Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:51:09 AM

Author Topic: Tool Table Import/Export redux  (Read 1503 times)

Tool Table Import/Export redux
« on: June 08, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »
I was sure this topic was discussed before but I can't seem to find any reference to how I can either export or import tool tables in Mach4. In Mach3 I recall there was a macro, but I don't seem to find a macro folder in Mach4.

I want to create and maintain a tool table in only one place, either in Fusion 360 (my preference), or in Mach4. If the latter, then I would like to be able to import the table from Mach4 into my Fusion 360 CAM setup tab. If set up in Fusion 360, I would like to import it into Mach4. Either way would work, but I would obviously like to only maintain only one tool table.

Any suggestions?

Joe

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Tool Table Import/Export redux
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 05:02:09 PM »
The tool table is an INI file.  It is located in your profile's ToolTables directory and it is called "tooltable.tls".  It could be created with a Fusion 360 post if you are comfortable in their post processors.  Or you could make a LUA program parse the Fusion 360 tool info output and create your own tool table INI file.  Then load it with: mc.mcToolLoadFile(inst, "C:/Path/To/MyToolTable.tls").  Open the tooltable.tls file with any text editor and you will see how it is laid out. 

Steve
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 02:39:00 PM »
Hi Steve

Thanks for replying. However, after recreating the tool table in Mach4 mill from Fusion 360, I tried to Load the table into Artsoft's Mill Wizard from my mill profile. The default file format that Mill Wizard wants to load is *.wtl but the file in profiles/tooltables is *.tls. When I try to load the *.tls file, it doesn't load in Mill Wizard.

Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 11:26:39 AM »
Joe,
What are you looking to add to Mach4's tool table?  Length, Diameter, Wear, etc...?
I made a post for Fusion360 that uses  G10L1 to output the tool's diameter into Mach4.  ]
It uses Fusion's tool information.  I want to use it for the diameter mainly, so it uses the tool's diameter from Fusion to put the D information in the G10L1 line.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 11:29:04 AM by Cbyrdtopper »
Chad Byrd
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 10:48:40 AM »
Hi Chad

I would like to enter tool data in only one place. If I choose Fusion 360 as the one repository for all tool data, as I understand it, you can use their post-processors to output the tool table, BUT it is only for the specific job being post-processed. Any tools not used in that Manufacture job will not be included.

The second option would be to output the library from Fusion 360 Actions tab, but that requires a LUA script to read and I do not know how to create or use LUA scripts.

Cbyrdtopper: you write that you have a Fusion360 post that uses G10 code. I have D and H offsets stored in Fusion360, and also turning tools that I would want to export. Does your post allow for D and H offsets?

Finally, I use Art Soft's Mill Wizard, and the default format for tools is *wtl NOT *tls. So, I cannot even load my Mach4 tool library into Mill Wizard since it does not recognize the *tls file in my Profile>Tooltables.

For now, I grind my teeth and manually reenter the tool data. Why does Mach4 not have the capability to import any of the Fusion360 tool output formats (*.json, *.tsv, *.hsmlib)

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 11:41:39 AM »
Yes, the post that uses g10 can output d and h. I have it set only to d right now but I can edit the post processor again to output h. Would you like me to do that and post it here?
Chad Byrd
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 02:25:27 PM »
That would be fab! Thanks very much.

Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 06:25:10 PM »
Joe,
I’ll work on this tomorrow. I’ve got to add a variable for the length or height.
What tool length do you need from fusion?  Overall length, length below holder, flute length… ?
Chad Byrd
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 09:49:40 AM »
I've got this working for the tool length.  I just need to know what length you're looking for.

Overall length, length below holder, flute length… ?
Chad Byrd
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 10:02:13 AM »
Here is the Mach4 Post that outputs G10 D & H Values. 
***The H Value is for the Length Below Holder. ***
If you need it changed to overall length let me know. 
Flute Length seems to be the same as length below holder; maybe there is a bug inside Fusion for this variable. 
Chad Byrd