Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:09:04 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 Ess SmoothStepper Threading and Index pulse  (Read 1067 times)

Mach3 Ess SmoothStepper Threading and Index pulse
« on: June 03, 2021, 04:08:34 AM »
Hi!

i need a little bit help..

i run a standart Emco Compact 5 with Mach3.

Yesterday i machine a Disc with one hole to insert a magnet.

This disc is mounted to the Spindle.

I use a Hall Ic to get the Rpm/Spindle Position.

Its 1 pulse / rev.

then i found a encoder with only A B Channel.

what is now better?

Encoder 600 lines 1 rev
Hall ic with magnet 1 pulse rev

both together?

i set the prescale to 600 and get no threads i get crap.

with the 1 pulse all work fine.

is it a configuration problem?

thanks
Re: Mach3 Ess SmoothStepper Threading and Index pulse
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 07:29:21 AM »
Hi
In an encoder, channels A and B give you the points per rotation (ppr) for an exact position of the motor shaft and are used for servomotors. For the spindle, there must always be a Z channel that gives you a signal per rotation. So what you had before with the hall sensor is ok, with the encoder with only A and B channels on a normal motor you don't do much .
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 07:36:15 AM »
hi daniel

thank you

if i want to sync my X axis with the Spindle... to cut from round to square or something like this... is the a and b channel needed right?

or is mach3 for this not the choice?

i hope you understand what i mean.

the next question is.... how to connect , config and use channel a and b?!

thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 09:38:41 AM »
Hi
Unfortunately you can't, because what you want is made by a rotary axis (usually the C axis) that can only be operated by a servomotor.
In general, lathes that have a C axis have an additional motor (Servomotor) that is engaged when needed, becoming an axis that can be synchronized with the rest of the axes.
There are also Spindles that can synchronize with the rest of the axes (C axis), but the controller is a bit more special.
Your problem is that you have a normal motor controlled by a VFD on the spindle.
Even if you want to do spindle indexing, you will need the Z channel of the encoder, because the first thing the spindle will do, will be to check the starting point given by the Z channel pulse, depending on it will make the required position.
If you could implement in mach 3 both the encoder and the hall sensor, as a Z pulse, then you could do indexing.