Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:27:27 PM

Author Topic: wine  (Read 1446 times)

wine
« on: May 24, 2021, 04:18:53 PM »
Not sure if this actually works or not as my machine is not running at the moment. I also don't think it's a great idea for production however, god dammmn.
Re: wine
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 08:09:46 PM »
Hi,
Mach4, as released is a Windows application, is there any particular reason to try to run it under Wine?

Mach4 is a relatively small and lightweight application and can be run very successfully on VERY modest PCs, including
Atom boards. Why don'y you use a cheap and cheerful Winodws10 PC to run the machine but then you could use
your Linux PC for CAD/CAM etc.

Really the PC running ypour machine should NOT run ANY other software.....so what matter if its a Windows PC?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 08:54:35 PM »
Hi,
Mach4, as released is a Windows application, is there any particular reason to try to run it under Wine?

Mach4 is a relatively small and lightweight application and can be run very successfully on VERY modest PCs, including
Atom boards. Why don'y you use a cheap and cheerful Winodws10 PC to run the machine but then you could use
your Linux PC for CAD/CAM etc.

Really the PC running ypour machine should NOT run ANY other software.....so what matter if its a Windows PC?

Craig

Oh I know all that. But I also dislike windows greatly. Last week, I wanted an updated version of SheetCam running on my linux machine which runs my mill and my plasma table. The version of sheetcam for linux is old as hell and there doesn't appear to be any updates in the future. I ran the SheetCam 7 installer and it works extremely well. So, I thought to try Mach4. After installing the proper vcruntime lib's, Mach4 started right up surprising the hell out of me. Frankly I'd love a version of Mach4 that runs under linux realtime. And yes I know there was a version at one time a long long time ago that natively ran under linux.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 11:37:30 PM »
Hi,

But I also dislike windows greatly.

Running Mach4 does not really involve Windows, or rather you can quietly ignore that it is a Windows machine. The only time you really encounter any Windows
features is if you back out of Mach4 to do some file keeping or other maintenance. Does that matter?

Frankly I'd love a version of Mach4 that runs under linux realtime. And yes I know there was a version at one time a long long time ago that natively ran under linux.

Windows is not a realtime computing system, thus the output of Machs trajectory planner must needs be buffered by the motion controller. If you were to run
Mach on a realtime computing system, of which Linux with RTE is a very close facsimile, then the trajectory planner always receives timely CPU service and therefore
the motion controller would not NEED to buffer motion commands. Really Mach does not care or change if its realtime OR buffered, however it makes a huge difference
to the motion controller.

One area that Mach4 is weak is that because its never had a realtime environment in which to run it has never had any feedback handling code or APIs.
Its a bit like saying that Mach will never run in Germany and so Mach has no German instructions.

smurph had indicated that Mach has run on Linux and that there was interest in releasing a Linux version. He did warn however that any move in that direction
would be for OEM manufacturers only, ie there would be no support should a hobbyist decide to use it. That was a year or so ago.....what the status is now I have
no idea.

Craig

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 04:38:17 PM »
Same status.  Trying to get there.  We are going to do 64 bit windows first.  That will get the code in 64 bit shape so that we won't have to do a 32 bit version on Linux.  The biggest reason we don't already do Linux is because there haven't been any great software protection solutions for Linux until recently.  We would be hacked within moments and then we would all starve.  :( 

Steve
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 10:39:42 AM »
What kind of software protection is needed?
Are you worried about it being pirated?
Hopefully you are not waiting because you are thinking it cannot be pirated just because it is run under Windows? 

I feel I am safer running software in Linux.
I dumped Windows years ago because I did not like being forced to upgrade from a system that worked fine for what I wanted. ( Planned obsolescence )

Personally, I believe Mach should develop their own Linux distribution, that way they are in control of the O/S, much like Apple. Then they could sell a complete turn key system.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 04:30:05 PM »
Hi,

Personally, I believe Mach should develop their own Linux distribution, that way they are in control of the O/S, much like Apple. Then they could sell a complete turn key system.

That would be nice, but whom do you suppose would fund that investment?

Craig
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 06:11:47 PM »
You must have not read the line that said "SELL a complete turn key system"

It does not take that much to take an existing linux distro and make it yours.....
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 07:16:52 PM »
Hi,
in order to have something to SELL you must first INVEST time and effort to make/produce the product.

I suspect in the case of NFS that effort would fall on very few shoulders and thus represent hundreds of hours for each of
the few developers.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 07:08:14 AM »
Hi,
I own and run a small business and I find trying to fund product development very hard indeed, as it has, perforce,
to be funded from business income. I do not have truck loads or even wheelbarrow loads of capital behind me so any
investment must be made out of business profit.

The problem is that you have to spend time, lots of time, just to make a profit and thence have so little time left to do
the design development you want to do. I find that I am lucky if I get one or two days a fortnight where I can do development
work, any other time must be found during weekends or evenings. Even during such times customers are demanding
that this or that be done....and its hard to argue with...after all they pay, whereas your development may not pay for
weeks/months, or sometimes ever.

Given that time particularly is so precious I have to prioritise very carefully. While a new development/design might offer good long term
sale prospects if it is going to take 200 hours design/programming time, then literally I can't afford to do it. Another design although
less attractive from a sales point of view but can be done with ten hours design/programming time is a better bet.

This is, I suspect, the same policy that Smurph was alluding to....completing the development of Mach4 on a Windows platform
BEFORE branching off into development on a Linux platform. Given that all NFS customers are to date Windows users then it makes sense
to complete that task. This does not necessarily mean that the Linux idea is poor, in fact it may well be a very  good idea, but
the difficulties finding the time/funds to make such an investment is sometimes just not possible.

Craig