Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:03:03 AM

Author Topic: Use Tool Table for Tool Changes  (Read 959 times)

Use Tool Table for Tool Changes
« on: May 17, 2021, 12:29:15 PM »
Brand new to Mach4.

I'm using a ATC spindle for manual tool changes until I have the tool stations set up. Is it possible to measure all the tools and have those lengths in the tool table so I don't have to re-zero after every tool change?
Re: Use Tool Table for Tool Changes
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 12:32:56 PM »
Yes.  I do this on a mill at work all the time. 
I have a tool setter that I use, but you can do this however you see fit. 
The offsets tab makes this pretty easy to do, there is a button to "Set Tool Offset".
Use a gage block or a tool setter to set your tools to a single surface, the machine table is a good place to set tools from. 
Chad Byrd
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 12:38:30 PM »
Yes.  I do this on a mill at work all the time. 
I have a tool setter that I use, but you can do this however you see fit. 
The offsets tab makes this pretty easy to do, there is a button to "Set Tool Offset".
Use a gage block or a tool setter to set your tools to a single surface, the machine table is a good place to set tools from.
How do I get Mach4 to use the offset when switching tools at a M6?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 12:43:40 PM »
With the stock m6 you shouldn't have to do anything for the tool change.  It will sit there and wait for you to hit cycle start after the tool change is complete. (You change the tool)
What you need to do is call a G43 H# to activate your tool height offset.
The programming manual is actually really useful.  Give it a read on G43 and G49.  G49 will cancel tool length offset and G43 will turn it on.  You can also toggle it with a button on the offsets page. 
Watch your Z Dro when you set a tool length.  Toggle it on and off and you'll see it update to the tool's current position in relation to your work offset.
Also, very important.  When you set your Z Work Offset with a tool you have touched off.  Turn on the Tool Length Offset and then set your work offset. 
Chad Byrd
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 12:55:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tywAByswH2Q&t=31s

This will show you the offsets page and the "Set Z", "Set Tool", and the "Toggle Height Offset" buttons. 

I do not use the "Master Tool" method.  I use the machine table as my reference, not the work piece; this way, as long as I haven't changed my tool (or reused the tool number in Mach4) I can use the tool at a later time and know that it is touched off. 

Set each tool length by using the "Set Tool" button, use a Tool Setter or a Gage block to set your tools from the table, this will give you a consistent point to set your tools off to. 
Be sure to change your tool number before pressing "Set Tool", you don't want to overwrite something you've already touched off.  Just change the number in the tool number dro or do a tool change in MDI. 
Once all your tools are touched off and stored into the tool table, you can set your Z Work Offset.
Select a tool.  Be sure Mach4 knows what tool # you are using, then activate the tool height offset.  G43H# or just press the Toggle Height Offset. 
Touch the top of your part with the tool, then Press "Set Z"  If you're using a gage block or shim, be sure to put that in the DRO for the Gate Block Height. 
Chad Byrd
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 01:13:18 PM »
With the stock m6 you shouldn't have to do anything for the tool change.  It will sit there and wait for you to hit cycle start after the tool change is complete. (You change the tool)
What you need to do is call a G43 H# to activate your tool height offset.
The programming manual is actually really useful.  Give it a read on G43 and G49.  G49 will cancel tool length offset and G43 will turn it on.  You can also toggle it with a button on the offsets page. 
Watch your Z Dro when you set a tool length.  Toggle it on and off and you'll see it update to the tool's current position in relation to your work offset.
Also, very important.  When you set your Z Work Offset with a tool you have touched off.  Turn on the Tool Length Offset and then set your work offset.
I'll get in the manual and try to figure it out, guess I have a lot to learn. Using the AVID screen set and there isn't the option to toggle it off and on. Guess I'll have to figure out how to get it back. Thank you.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 01:15:27 PM »
If there is a section for tool info, it should tell you if there is an active H offset.  If there isn’t one, it says zero. Otherwise it should match the current tool.

Just use MDI.
G43 H(tool number)
Chad Byrd
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 03:14:54 PM »
That should get me started until I figure out how to add back in the toggle for the height offset. Avid removed the option because I guess their tool setter uses the G54 offset.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 03:46:52 PM »
naamanf, I'm having the same issue. My offset screen does not look anything like the screen in the instructional YT video. I have no "set tool" option. When I enter the tool length differences off of the master tool in the tool table, they are not activated. When I use MDI and type in T#M6 G43 H#, there is no way to apply the command. Did you figure out how to get that screen set, or to get a set tool toggle? Very frustrating that there isnt any documentation on how to do this with the current Avid Screen Set. Any help appreciated. Thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 11:50:53 AM »
Update:

I didn't realize hitting cycle start applied the MDI. Alternatively you can hit shift+alt+enter. Once you apply the G43 H# code it activates it for that tool. I still dont have any way of knowing if the G43 is active other than just knowing I applied the G43. From there the "set tool" is really just the measure tool in the tool table. Basically the G43 command activates the offset in your tool table.