Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:01:57 PM

Author Topic: FIXED: DRO counts double, how to fix?  (Read 3337 times)

FIXED: DRO counts double, how to fix?
« on: October 13, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »
Howdy all.  VERY happy demo user, got my rig built and set up so far so that it will "REF ALL" and home itself using the limit switches.  Woohoo!  :)

One thing I've noticed though is that each axis will count twice the distance moved on the DRO.  One inch of movement reads as +2.000 on the DRO.  I tried playing with the motor tuning settings but it only moved slower - I'm sure it's something simple enough that I'll smack my own forehead when someone explains it to me...  ::)

My first foray into CNC is getting more fun by the minute!  Can't wait to see some chips fly!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 07:51:12 PM by tamathumper »

vmax549

Re: DRO counts double, how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 04:16:45 PM »
Try doubling the steps per inch setting in the motor tuning.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 06:40:56 PM »
Ah - that's it, in addition to doubling the ipm and acceleration settings!

Now all I need to do is try to make some chips!

vmax549

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 06:43:52 PM »
I love it when a new chip slinger is born.(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 07:21:30 PM »
My controller has multiple settings for whole/half/quarter/eighth steps, and I either did the math wrong or the documentation is incorrect.  Given that I smoked the board once because the documentation was wrong about which contacts were 5V vs. 12/24V, I'm voting for the documentation being wrong... :D  Thankfully the vendor sent me another, along with correcting their documentation and sending out a new revision!

Now I just need something simple to make and then I need to spring for the full version of Mach3 too, so I can get something real done with it!  I have tons of CAD/CAM/CNC software downloaded and I'm anxious to try it out, but some of the programs just make Mach3 blow up immediately with errors like "can't do a g1 with feedrate of 0" errors and the like...  Learn, learn, learn.