Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:55:40 AM

Author Topic: Z axis is adding steps during cut.  (Read 934 times)

Z axis is adding steps during cut.
« on: March 27, 2021, 07:11:47 AM »
Hi, I am not sure this is a mach3 problem or not. My machine as now started to play up on the z axis. During a cut it starts to add steps. If I start the cut at zero on the face of the material, during the cut the z axis will add steps. If I stop the cut and return to zero, the machine will go back fine on the x,y axis, but z will drop 20mm. I have checked the motor connection to the bull screw and that’s ok. The cutter is not moving from the spindle. I am using a car-labs smooth stepper. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks, michael

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
Re: Z axis is adding steps during cut.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 08:48:58 AM »
You have wrong polarity of step pulses.
Change the active state of Step polarity and swap wires on one phase of your stepper motor and try. :)
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 09:49:48 AM »
Hi, not sure if that will work, the z axis did work find before, could it be something else. Tomorrow I am going to retire the whole machine. And plan to swap then x axis stepper controller for the z to see if it could be a could be a unit breaking down. And replace the z axis motor with a new one I have. Will get back once this is done.

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 12:38:23 PM »
If earlier all was ok, then check mechanics, i.e. couplings, ...
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 01:16:04 PM »
Hi. I have checked all the fittings. I have now replaced the original motor with a closed loop set up I had laying around, but can only get the motor driving in one direction.