Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:52:32 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3: Programmatic change to config  (Read 5128 times)

Re: Mach 3: Programmatic change to config
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2021, 06:58:14 PM »
Hi,

This is a Chinese Servo. They seems decent enough for my application.

I don't think there is to much issue with these Chinese servos, they seem to operate as they should and while not top quality they are not
rubbish either, entirely suitable for our purposes.

Where I do take issue with these Chinese products is the Chinglish documentation and even more damningly NO  PC based set-up and tuning software.

My advice to users new to servos would be to get a slightly more expensive but better brand like Delta or DMM which have vastly superior
documentation, support and set-up software. Once you learnt how to get the best from that thereafter you'll have no trouble transferring what
you have learnt to the cheaper brands, almost all AC servos are very similar to each other, if you can 'drive' one you can 'drive' others.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2021, 02:19:37 AM »
depending on your Motion Controller you can run your spindle in step/dir mode as well.
also the servo Controller supports a PZ+/PZ- Signal witch is a single pulse per rev. that can
be used for a index Input. i use this signals on my machines for indexed homing on the Motion axes.

anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2021, 07:00:01 AM »
Hi,

This is a Chinese Servo. They seems decent enough for my application.

I don't think there is to much issue with these Chinese servos, they seem to operate as they should and while not top quality they are not
rubbish either, entirely suitable for our purposes.

Where I do take issue with these Chinese products is the Chinglish documentation and even more damningly NO  PC based set-up and tuning software.

My advice to users new to servos would be to get a slightly more expensive but better brand like Delta or DMM which have vastly superior
documentation, support and set-up software. Once you learnt how to get the best from that thereafter you'll have no trouble transferring what
you have learnt to the cheaper brands, almost all AC servos are very similar to each other, if you can 'drive' one you can 'drive' others.

Craig

I agree. Mechanically wise they are good for my purpose, where they lack is support but for me would be like, either this servo or no servo on the spindle so the decision was easy, plus in EU we do not have easy access to most of the deals without add crazy import taxes. I will try to see what I can do with it.
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2021, 07:02:10 AM »
depending on your Motion Controller you can run your spindle in step/dir mode as well.
also the servo Controller supports a PZ+/PZ- Signal witch is a single pulse per rev. that can
be used for a index Input. i use this signals on my machines for indexed homing on the Motion axes.

Yes my plan was to run the spindle in step/dir, but I guess that it's not enough to attempt rigid tapping. The indexinput can be really useful for ATC in case of for example BT30 spindle, or for probing if you want your digitizer probe to be oriented always in the same way when touching the part.
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2021, 04:25:41 PM »
Hi,
using Mach4 its possible to use either analogue velocity mode OR Step/Direction mode at will.

I can do both, but in truth VERY seldom use Step/Direction, as a free running spindle (analogue velocity) is enough
for my purposes, and analogue velocity mode is SO EASY to use.

I would suggest that unless there is specific reason to employ a more complicated solution then just use plain old PWM
output with the servo in velocity mode, its so simple!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2021, 09:59:42 AM »
Hi,
using Mach4 its possible to use either analogue velocity mode OR Step/Direction mode at will.

I can do both, but in truth VERY seldom use Step/Direction, as a free running spindle (analogue velocity) is enough
for my purposes, and analogue velocity mode is SO EASY to use.

I would suggest that unless there is specific reason to employ a more complicated solution then just use plain old PWM
output with the servo in velocity mode, its so simple!

Craig

yes I agree. The step/direction choice was just because I was hoping it could be use for rigid tapping straight away, by relay on the spindle encoder. Since that it's not possible than there is no reason to use it.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »
if you what to use tapping cycle (G84) you must have a spindle index Signal, does not matter wether spindle
in in Step/dir or analog mode.
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2021, 11:05:34 AM »
if you what to use tapping cycle (G84) you must have a spindle index Signal, does not matter wether spindle
in in Step/dir or analog mode.

Yes but then with Mach3 + USS stepper I can only use index input, so 1 pulse/rev, which is probably too low for rigid tapping. If I go with ESS then same thing, since true encoder input is supported in Mach4 only. A possibility is to grab an UC300ETH. That supports true encoder signal in their Mach3 plug-in. The problem then is to find an encoder that can spin up to 7500 rpm (my max spindle speed). Most of the reasonable priced ones are max 6k rpm.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »
IMHO a lot of People do rigid tapping with 1 pulse/rev, i never tryed because my CSLab controller's do tapping only with
Encoder module. try and error will e the only way to figure out.
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2021, 11:31:55 AM »
IMHO a lot of People do rigid tapping with 1 pulse/rev, i never tryed because my CSLab controller's do tapping only with
Encoder module. try and error will e the only way to figure out.

I will try it for sure. Thanks for the info