Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:47:31 AM

Author Topic: Probing accuracy measurements  (Read 1793 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Probing accuracy measurements
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 01:30:24 PM »
It is easy enough to check. Probe an X axis edge at 20ipm then compare the DRO to the trip value. Are they exactly the same ?

(;-) TP
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 03:17:23 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and help.  In the end I did this by writing a simple macro, derived from a tool setting macro, that would take up to 225 probe readings and write them to a tool table, which I then exported as a text file and opened in Excel for analysis.  Slightly clunky but does the job.  Measuring the performance of a Sharp photointerrupter, 87% of 100 measurements were at exactly the same point, the rest being within +/- step at 1600 steps/mm, so better than a micron.  I will repeat the exercise with: different supply voltages to the opto; on positive edge triggering rather than negative (i.e. with the obstruction moving out of the gap); with and without ambient light; and with my "conductive" probe.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 02:31:53 PM »
HI John, You can create a probe point file in Mach3 as a csv you can actually define the point file type. Then create a simple Sub program that loops as many times as you want to have values.  That was how we testing probing many years ago. Some of the tests went on for thousands of points. But most were 100 points which made the math easy
Just a thought , (;-) TP
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 06:23:12 PM »
Thanks TP, the learning curve to use the tooltable was fairly simple as I had been through it before.  I don't really want to devote much more time to learning Mach 3 as I'm likely to be moving to Mach 4 or something else fairly soon.  This does the job.