Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:49:24 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 control of stepper motor issue  (Read 698 times)

Mach3 control of stepper motor issue
« on: March 10, 2021, 08:15:37 PM »
I am converting a Sieg X2D mini mill to CNC using the Heavy Metal kit.  I have a SainSmart 4 axis kit with Nema 23 steppers and ST04045-A1 drivers and an STB4100 Mach3 USB Motion Card.  I purchased the license for Mach3 a while ago.  It is all running under Windows 10.  I am bench testing the electronics before installing on the mill.
I am struggling to get the continuous jog function to continuously show movement on the DRO by using the keyboard.  If I hold the movement key down, the motors turn for a short time (maybe 1 revolution) and then stop. If I release the direction key and push and hold again, it will move/indicate the same distance.
 Changing the velocity setting in Motor Tuning will affect the amount the stepper turns and the distance the DRO indicates.   If I use the onboard pendent keys, it works as it should (motors turn as long as I hold the direction key down).  What am I missing the get the keyboard to work properly?

Michael

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 control of stepper motor issue
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 06:02:03 PM »
Press TAB, select continuous on the jog type on the fly out window.

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 08:50:53 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  I have used the tab to get the onboard pendant (MPG) to come out.  Using the direction keys on the pendant all works as it should.  If I press the keyboard direction key and hold it down, the motors will only turn an exact distance.  That distance changes with any change in the velocity number in configuration > motor tuning.

Michael
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 08:51:53 PM »
Also, I am in continuous jog mode.

Michael