Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:56:26 AM

Author Topic: Windows 7 with USB Motion controller  (Read 1322 times)

Windows 7 with USB Motion controller
« on: March 09, 2021, 05:32:27 AM »
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct way to go about this but I have an issue with a USB Motion controller with Windows 7. After I boot up Win7 and then open Mach3, although I can jog smoothly any attempt to run Gcode just makes the motors stutter and miss steps. If I wait awhile and re-open Mach3 all works smoothly. Is there some way of knowing when Windows 7 has settled down or some settings that can be changed to improve this. I bought the USB Motion controller as a back up so that when my old XP PC dies I am able to move forward without too much delay. At the present time have the motion controller set up with a couple of spare stepper motors and drivers just to evaluate and to get used to its setup. Any help to make the system more reliable would be apprciated
Re: Windows 7 with USB Motion controller
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 09:03:02 AM »
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct way to go about this but I have an issue with a USB Motion controller with Windows 7. After I boot up Win7 and then open Mach3, although I can jog smoothly any attempt to run Gcode just makes the motors stutter and miss steps. If I wait awhile and re-open Mach3 all works smoothly. Is there some way of knowing when Windows 7 has settled down or some settings that can be changed to improve this. I bought the USB Motion controller as a back up so that when my old XP PC dies I am able to move forward without too much delay. At the present time have the motion controller set up with a couple of spare stepper motors and drivers just to evaluate and to get used to its setup. Any help to make the system more reliable would be apprciated

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 10:54:32 AM »
What make and model is the Motion Controller ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 10:58:41 AM »
I am using my own paid for Mach3 licence

The motion controller is the Novosun NVCM V2.1

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 01:59:55 AM »
I am using my own paid for Mach3 licence

The motion controller is the Novosun NVCM V2.1

Unfortunately, due to their Pirate License distribution, this forum does not support the use of Novusun products.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 04:29:54 AM »
I understand that Novosun may distribute Mach3 with their product but I am not using this distribution ,  I bought Mach3 long before and I am asking for some help. I guess this issue is also prevalent on other USB motion controllers.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 05:10:55 AM »
I have not seen this particular problem reported on the forum with any other supported USB motion controller.

My suggestion is that you consider using an Ethernet connected motion controller (such as the Warp9 ESS or the CncDrive UC300ETH / UC400ETH) which has plugin support for both Mach3 and Mach4.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 05:22:33 AM »
Thank you, for your reply. I am rather loath to just throw away the Novosun controller as i bought it in good faith as a backup in case my Windows XP PC dies. In all honesty in view of the issue with Novosun and Art Soft which I fully understand I should probably have avoided both issues and gone for the smc5-5-n-n or similar.

I'm retired and this CNC is just a hobby and I am keen to keep the budget in check.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 09:02:22 PM »
You could try emailing them at sales@nvcnc.net
Without engineers the world stops