Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 05:15:54 PM

Author Topic: Font Engrave wizard X shift  (Read 2133 times)

Font Engrave wizard X shift
« on: February 07, 2021, 07:38:02 AM »
Hi All,

I'm just trying out the font engrave wizard for the first time.
I position my cutter at the correct XY location and zero both axis before I start.
I set everything according to the video and the engrave works fine.
Problem is that if I then go back into the wizard and reload without changing anything the X axis shifts.
This shift increments each time I reload so the text is pushed further off the bed.
I've put the starting lines of the first and second engrave runs below and you can see that the starting X has shifted by 326 mm??

The machine and work coordinates don't move and I can use G0 X0 Y0 without problem.

I must be missing some reset command but I can't find it.
Anyone got any ideas?

First Engrave Gcode
(Font Engraving)
G90 G80 G49 G55
G0 X0 Y0
S10000 M3
G00 Z1.0000 M8
X-39.5300 Y35.0150
Z0.2500
Second Engrave Gcode
(Font Engraving)
G90 G80 G49 G55
G0 X0 Y0
S10000 M3
G00 Z1.0000 M8
X286.7100 Y35.0150
Z0.2500

Thanks
DerekJ
Re: Font Engrave wizard X shift
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 08:07:27 AM »
It is using the G55 offset , Delete G55 in the Gcode and see if you like that better. Clearly we need to take that out so it will run with your current fixture offset. I think we did this so it would not mess with your current fixture to do some engraving but I think we may have been doing a little over thinking ;)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 08:21:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply Brian.

Even if it's using the G55 work offset, the X value should not increment each time I save and re-load the Gcode from the wizard without changing anything? The offset should be constant, or do I misunderstand it.

Thanks
DerekJ
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 08:57:49 AM »
Mine is not doing that here. I remember we had early versions that would shift the position of the after every engraving so you could keep engraving. We can rip that out :)

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 09:11:21 AM »
My version is
Build

Downloaded not so long back.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 09:15:20 AM »
Are you seeing the X position change after you press the save and post Gcode ?

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 09:32:09 AM »
Hi Brian,

Yes, the original top few lines of Gcode in my original post were made like this:-

1)   Exit Mach4
2)   Start Mach4
3)   Home the machine
4)   Move to centre of bed
5)   Zero work coords
6)   Enter the FontEngrave wizard, all values saved from last time including text start X & Y.
7)   Press Save and Load, copy the Gcode to post here.
8)   Close Gcode File
9)   Enter the FontEngrave wizard, all values saved from last time including text start X & Y.
10) Press Save and Load , copy the Gcode to post here

Please note that I'm very new to Mach4 and CNC in general so it's probable I'm doing something stupid!

DerekJ

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 09:36:02 AM »
I have 4385 on my laptop that I have with me that I am testing with. I am not running parts but I have had it make the gocde over and over. I have done it changing the file name and not. I will upload a new lua file for you to put in your Modules\AddOns\FontEngraving directory.

I did some digging and nothing is setting the X position other than when you open the dialog it gets the position of the last time you ran it. I don't see anything doing math on that so I think this one is all good. I don't work on this code :( I only did the original layout for it so I have to dig a bit.

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 09:38:34 AM »
I can tell you that you are not doing anything stupid, I need to figure out what is causing you issues and make it go away :)  My issue is I have done this for so long I frankly have forgotten what it was like to learn this. That is why I am here :) Looking for what it causing issues and fix them!

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 09:41:27 AM »
Thanks Brian,

I'll try that later on when I get my machine back on line.  Baking a cake at the moment :-)  How random is that!

Thanks for the help
Derek