Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 05:32:02 PM

Author Topic: Original KX1 Upgrade to USB or Ethernet  (Read 3944 times)

Offline JimG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
Original KX1 Upgrade to USB or Ethernet
« on: January 25, 2021, 06:51:05 AM »
Can anyone recommend a way to upgrade my original KX1 with Mach3 and parallel port interface to use a USB or Ethernet controller?   I have already purchased a Pokeys57CNCdb25 and found that it could not control the spindle which requires a step and direction pair to do the job.   I've had a look around one or two other controllers but have seen one or two messages in forums which have raised further questions.

Jim.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Original KX1 Upgrade to USB or Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 07:15:29 AM »
Probably the Warp9 ESS would be the way to go but I am suprised that the 57CNC does not support step and direction for spindle control. Have you contacted Polabs to ask if there is any possibility of this function being supported ?

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline JimG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 11:37:29 AM »
Probably the Warp9 ESS would be the way to go but I am suprised that the 57CNC does not support step and direction for spindle control. Have you contacted Polabs to ask if there is any possibility of this function being supported ?

Yes I did and they said that the PoKeys57CNC and the Pokeys57CNCdb25 could not control the KX1 spindle using Mach3 and had limited control using Mach 4.   I opted not to upgrade to Mach4 in case the limited control was not satisfactory.   I've been looking at the ESS and the UC100.   The Warp9 products appear to have a comprehensive coverage of dealing with the spindle in Mach3 on their web site so I might take a punt on the ESS.

I'm also having to learn a lot about under the hood on the KX1. :-)  The way the KX1 was marketed in the UK was that users didn't need to know more than how to operate Mach3.  The late John Stevenson set it up that way and it did work most of the time. :-)   If he was still around he would have had the answer. :-)

Jim.

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 03:31:34 AM »
yes it can be done with a ESS and Mach4 it works just fine

But its not a job for the faint hearted as all the wires are the same colour and contain hidden components in the loom eg resistors to limit current flow

you need a bob that outputs 0 10vdc PWM for the spindle

the 12volt PSU in the mill then would not be needed

its a lot of work I am an time served spark and have a long experience with large machine/HVAC controls it took me a week of solid work to trace it out ( any drawing you have is NBG ) but once done is fine Would I do it again NO I would rip the lot out and start from scratch

what out for the wiring of the 9 limit proximity sensors get that wrong and you could fry them

good luck if you try the thing what you gain is the ability to use a probe on G31.X that works the controller ( leafboy ) with not work it only works as a simple tool touch off