Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:25:47 AM

Author Topic: Switching between laser and router profiles  (Read 966 times)

Switching between laser and router profiles
« on: January 21, 2021, 09:29:40 PM »
I recently installed a laser on my cn router frame. To set the laser up I used a clone of my router profile and modified it.

As I am learning about how,to use my laser I am thinking that I'd like to use both the router and the laser on some projects.

What would be the easiest way to do this? Do need to have a single profile that will run both applications? I don't imagine that Mach 3 will remember my zero from one profile to another.

I guess I could write down my zero and use that if I switch profiles.....

Any infor is appreciated.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Switching between laser and router profiles
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 01:17:30 AM »
I don't know if it's any help but I use the same profile for both router and laser but I manually switch the power to either the Spindle VFD or the Laser PSU as required on start-up. This switching could be done in software but the current method works OK for me.
My X-Y Zero for the spindle and laser are slightly different so they are individially set before use. So far I have not had the occasion to use Laser and Spindle on the same workpiece but I expect it will come one day and then I will tackle using the different offsets in software.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 03:33:27 PM »
Tweakie, I’m not familiar with the setting to make that change with start up of Mach 3.

I think I’m going to have to play with my profiles some. Right now if I switch profiles I have to home the unit before loading the gcode.

I guess what I need to know is if I ref all home, then load a router program, run it  note the x0y0 work coordinates and then switch profiles, ref all home and load the laser program at the previously noted x0 y0 will it run in the correct location?

Seems logical that is should. If it doesn’t what factors would cause it to be generated in the wrong location?

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 03:12:08 AM »
you can start a specific Profile via shortcut by using the /P Parameter. for example:

C:\Mach3\Mach3.exe /p Mach3Mill

maybe this is what you are looking for.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 05:52:13 PM »
I don't know if it's any help but I use the same profile for both router and laser but I manually switch the power to either the Spindle VFD or the Laser PSU as required on start-up. This switching could be done in software but the current method works OK for me.
My X-Y Zero for the spindle and laser are slightly different so they are individially set before use. So far I have not had the occasion to use Laser and Spindle on the same workpiece but I expect it will come one day and then I will tackle using the different offsets in software.

Tweakie.

So do you just enable/disable the Spindle (laser) in ports and pins as needed?

This seems like this might work. Are there any other setting that would significantly effect the use of the router if my laser profile is a clone of my router profile?

Do any of the other spindle(laser PWM) set up modifications change how the router would work?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 01:13:27 AM »
So do you just enable/disable the Spindle (laser) in ports and pins as needed?

No, they both remain enabled but of course only one is actually switched on.

This seems like this might work. Are there any other setting that would significantly effect the use of the router if my laser profile is a clone of my router profile?

I don’t get any conflicts but I use a different Post Processor to create my laser and router Gcode and those posts may have different attributes (such as G54 / G55, M3 / M7 / M8 etc.).

Do any of the other spindle(laser PWM) set up modifications change how the router would work?

My router speed is set manually and not PWM controlled. I choose the cutting tools manually so setting the speed to match is no big deal for me.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 07:43:27 AM »
Ok those things make sense. I generate router code with Fusion360 and laser code with Inkscape. I also set my router speed manually.

I guess the only thing left is to measure the offset and test.