Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:52:59 AM

Author Topic: Setting up Soft Limits Help  (Read 800 times)

Setting up Soft Limits Help
« on: January 20, 2021, 07:48:28 PM »
So I've never used soft limits, but now I have a VistaCNC Pendant and want to setup them up on my Mori Seiki Lathe. From what I'm reading in the Mach 4 manual I use the numbers from the DRO in Machine POS Toggle. Well with my tool changer in the upper right hand corner of my lathe and then backed off the limit switches for safety I'm using -.125 for both X and Z, then for X max, I jog my machine near the max X limit switch which is X-3.4 and Z is -7.8. So input those into the soft limits the only way Mach allowed me and saved it and restarted mach for extra measure and then homed the machine and when I restarted I tried jogging toward the soft limit and it did nothing. I went right past them. What am I doing wrong? See pic for my settings.
Re: Setting up Soft Limits Help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 11:17:17 PM »
Hi,
SoftLimits ONLY make sense if your machine is Homed (Referenced).

The first thing you do when you turn the machine on is Home the machine. The numbers you populate the SoftLimit table are the machine
boundaries FROM the home position. If your machine is not Homed to an exactly repeatable location every time then the numbers
(being units of travel) to the machine boundaries change every time.

Once the machine is Homed and the SoftLimit table is populated with data THEN <Enable SoftLImits> on the FileOps tab.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:22:23 PM »
As I said I do home the machine and it does get referenced to micron precision every time. I mean a home depot branded tape measure is accurate, right? It's orange so that's good.

I didn't know you had to enable it in the File Ops Tab, that's what I was missing. Thanks!!! I'll try it tomorrow.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 05:59:25 PM »
Thanks Joe, that did it. Pretty neat.