Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 08:24:13 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 bluescreen  (Read 3253 times)

Mach 3 bluescreen
« on: January 10, 2021, 04:19:23 PM »
Hey all,

i had this windows XP pc that ran mach3.  I bought this off a person and worked with it for some time without any problems.  (I use mach3turn)
suddenly i got this bluescreen while using my cnc machine with this laptop.  over time this got worse.  There are days i can run mach3 without any problems for 2-3 hours.  But there are days it will bluescreen every 5 minutes.  Very frustrating.
I thought the parallel port of the computer could be faulty so i decided to order a UC-100 2 weeks ago.

Used a clean laptop (formatted it first, and a different laptop from the former) with windows 10 this time.  installed mach3, installed the UC-100.  I could successfully send commands to the cnc device through this laptop.  After a few runs i got the message "UC-100 sync error" a few times, and i had to restart my cycle.  After 4-5 sync error messages and restarting my cycle i once again got a bluescreen...

Apparently it was not the first laptop that was faulty, i'm not sure where to begin searching why it is bluescreening, i do hope my cnc controller is not the issue...
This is getting very frustrating, any tips or pointers?
Re: Mach 3 bluescreen
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 11:36:31 AM »
no one?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 02:14:28 AM »
Hi,
the UC100 is USB connected and is prone to 'Run out of Data' errors. Keep the USB cable as short as possible, preferably with two or even
three ferrite ring chokes on it.

Ethernet connected devices are much more reliable.

I use an Ethernet Smooth Stepper and Mach4 and have done for six years. I've never had a bluescreen event, although I can and
still do crash Mach4 occasionally. I've had two 'Run out of Data' events, both in the same afternoon, when I was pushing my spindle
to 110%. I suspect conducted electrical noise, but I've never had the issue since using the exact same set-up but rather less aggressive cutting.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 03:57:06 AM »
i only use the cable that came standard with the uc-100.

but i also got bluescreens with a laptop with a parallel port, and now the uc-100 does the same thing
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 04:07:01 AM »
Hi,

but i also got bluescreens with a laptop with a parallel port,

Machs parallel port will not run reliably on laptops at the best of times. The fact that you are using a parallel port suggests you must have
32 bit Windows 7 or earlier installed as OS....why?

A UC100 is an external motion controller and allows you to escape the necessity of 32 bit Windows 7 or earlier.
Why don't you get yourself a nice little Windows 10 laptop and run Mach3 and the UC100 on that?

Craig
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 04:09:33 AM »
the paralell port was an old laptop with windows XP.

right now I am running it on a laptop with windows 10 (completely up to date with windows udpates) and the UC-100 connected to that :)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 04:39:25 AM »
Hi,
have you read the thread about Windows 10 updates screwing up Mach3? There is a fix but there was a time when an MS
Windows 10 updates stopped Mach3 from running.

I haven't really followed it as I haven't used Mach3 in six years and Mach4 works seamlessly with updates.

Craig