Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:54:50 PM

Author Topic: Adavanced CNC programmer but new to Mac3 ---Questions  (Read 1420 times)

Adavanced CNC programmer but new to Mac3 ---Questions
« on: January 02, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
Axis --How to set actual home position-When you move the axis to home switch positions how do you reset or declare that as zero position on the axis motor ?
Software i have does not give Macro Screen ?
Can you created M and G codes to  declared programs  =M100 would call O9001 as declared in parameters ?
Sub program files have to be declared in the main not other separate folders like QBasic programming was ?
Thanks for the Help
PS i have Programmed almost every Fanuc and Siemen controls on Mills and Lathes but never worked with Mac3
()
Laird
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 12:52:54 PM by Ulstermanone »
Re: Adavanced CNC programmer but new to Mac3 ---Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 03:48:46 PM »
Hi,

Axis --How to set actual home position-When you move the axis to home switch positions how do you reset or declare that as zero position on the axis motor ?

With Mach3, and likewise Mach4, when the home switch activates, the axis backs up the switch de-activates the machine coordinate for
that axis is reset to zero, or alternately, to an offset that you program. If you do not have a home switch assigned to that axis, or you can program
it if you wish, to 'Home in Place'. Under that circumstance the moment the axis is homed it immediately sets the machine coordinate to zero.

I have been using Mach4 for six years....so my memory of Mach3 is now pretty patchy. In Mach3 you write macros in Visual Basic, or in fact a variant
of it called Cypress Enable. I personally never liked VB and so I elected to change to Mach4 which uses Lua as a scripting language. While Lua
and the modular architecture take some learning it is very much more powerful and flexible than VB/Mach3.

If you are new to Mach then I would have to recommend Mach4, all development on Mach3 ceased six years ago and not withstanding that it still works
and has a loyal fan-base it is  becoming obsolete.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 03:54:53 PM »
Hi,

PS i have Programmed almost every Fanuc and Siemen controls on Mills and Lathes but never worked with Mac3

Should add, that you have extensive CNC programming experience will help immensely. Mach4 is designed to be as close
to identical to Fanuc 21 as possible. Mach4Hobby does not have parametric programming whereas Mach4Industrial does.

Craig
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 05:07:48 PM »
Thanks for the Reply
Yes i have used the Fanuc up to 30i so just different way of doing stuff to Ma3/4
Large industrial machines with expensive options i can not afford is the companies i worked for
I just keep getting ask to work on 3040 and 6080 Routers and stuff so i guess going to have to try and get the hold of a System and do some self teaching
Again thank you  for the Reply and information
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 11:43:25 AM »
Thanks for the Reply
Yes i have used the Fanuc up to 30i so just different way of doing stuff to Ma3/4
Large industrial machines with expensive options i can not afford is the companies i worked for
I just keep getting ask to work on 3040 and 6080 Routers and stuff so i guess going to have to try and get the hold of a System and do some self teaching
Again thank you  for the Reply and information
Ulstermanone, ur not in this alone I am the same ( cnc programmer ) fanuc, haas , and mazak and going to mach 3 from faunc ....mach 3 at home and fanuc at work I can say this mach 3 mill is closer to a fanuc than the mach turn. The mach turn uses a master tool acting as a g54 zero setting for all other tools . U can look up setting offsets in mach3 on YouTube and look for a guy that goes by the name of FRANCO cool guy no shady dealings and knows alot about diy routers and lathes ( harborfreight lathes) . I am fluent with Mastercam 2020 and older as well as fanuc and fadal haas etc. So if I can help just let me know i learned from YouTube to be honest.  Alot of the guys here either have given up on mach3 for there own reasons or just want to promote mach4 ...but some of us can't afford to change setups let me know if u can help
Cadcam Man
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 02:06:33 PM »
Yes the G54 on a lathe for first tool is something Okuma does on the OSP controls for many yrs and has issues for sure ---------Master X19 was master change from X9/X11 and to be honest i just use the other version for what i need -----3D programming on 5 axis machines was never for high volume so something i stayed away from ---------The MAC3 i down loaded is their basic setup is close to the Fanuc O controls but i dont see Macro Variable screen of parameter screen to make custom G and M codes -----I program a different way and want to be able to do that same style on this control for Safety and speed --Thank you for the reply and help
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 05:18:02 PM »
Hi,

-The MAC3 i down loaded is their basic setup is close to the Fanuc O controls but i dont see Macro Variable screen of parameter screen to make custom G and M codes
Mach3 is broadly similar to Fanuc but you don't get the same parameters that you are familiar with. Pound variable numbers in Mach3 are very confused
because Mach3 evolved over a number of years, indeed it was that confusion that prompted me to migrate to Mach4 six years ago.

Mach4 is very nearly identical to Fanuc 21i. Mach4Hobby does not have parametric programming whereas Mach4Indutrial does.

As Brian Barker says:

Mach3 grew organically , Mach4 was designed.

smurph, one of the leading contributors to Mach4, stated very clearly that one of the design goals was to make Mach4 as close to identical to Fanuc 21 as possible.
If you are not familiar with the differences between Mach3 and Mach4 then I would recommend:

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=42891.0

Craig
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 06:41:55 PM »
To be honest i have used Fanuc from 6m and 6t in the early 1980s right up to the Oi series of this past year they haven't changed much meaning Variables and Macro programming was all available then and last few years trying to put Fanuc controlled software onto ME edition of windows slowed the controls down as proven on cells i did yrs ago in direct comparisons ----------MAC3 or MAC4 i will just have to deal with as i get to the machines with the different controls and spend some time with them --Thanks for the help