Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 05:04:04 PM

Author Topic: Mach 4 open source content  (Read 889 times)

Mach 4 open source content
« on: December 28, 2020, 05:39:17 AM »
There were various open source screens and other forms of useful and innovative content for Mach 3, does anything like that exist for Mach 4? I remember, for example, a probing code snippet/routine for edge finding in Mach 3 by a user named Squirrel on another forum. Thanks for your help!
Re: Mach 4 open source content
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 12:02:47 AM »
Hi,
all the screen sets that ship with Mach4 are open Lua source files so open to inspection, editing etc.
In LuaExamples folder there are dozens of Lua scripts (source) for file handling, toolchanging, device control and the list goes on.
You are invited to use them at will. The probing module 'McTouchOff' is available as source code and so open to inspection
and editing as required.

The lathe wizard code is supplied by MachMotion, not NFS at all, and so that  is available as compiled code only.

I'm not sure but I think the new script based THC feature is available as compiled code only.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline SimonRafferty

•  46 46
  • Movie SFX Design Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 open source content
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 12:54:09 PM »
There is a fair bit of open-source content for Mach4, but you have to hunt for it!

We, the users, want Mach to be all things to all machines - but with the variety of machines, that's almost impossible out of the box.  Mach4 has a nice, scalable architecture and delivers most of the common things you need for most machines.  They've also made it easier to script our own solutions to customise it to our specific requirements.

OK, that does require learning to write the script - but there are some good examples and great videos that explain how all the bits fit together.  Why some things are possible / easy, and others not (or at least are difficult).

The ease of modification also means that the screens people have developed are for their own machines, with code specific to them.  If you try to run the screen on a different machine, it may not work.  To fix it, you need to code - and if you learn to code, it's often easiest just to start with one of the standard screens and hack it about until it looks like, and does what you want.

It all feels a bit daunting at first - but with the help and particularly videos, learning bit by bit is surprisingly easy!