Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:24:41 AM

Author Topic: Trouble Interfacing with Mach3 via Parallel Port  (Read 2230 times)

Trouble Interfacing with Mach3 via Parallel Port
« on: December 14, 2020, 01:24:56 PM »
Hey,

Sorry if this is not the appropriate forum for this topic, I looked at all the forum sub-sections and this one seemed the best fit.

About a month and a half ago we bought an old Bridgeport Boss with a CNC retrofit. There are 3 boards (Larken Cobra Stepper Motor Drivers) for X, Y, Z. We have everything on this side wired fine, and have all the documentation for the boards. They need a minimum of 4us steps, we're using Mach3's default of 5us at the moment so that should be okay.

The original retrofit used an old version of TurboCNC on an even older MS-DOS system, we got a computer here with a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 32-Bit, and Mach3 demo. (We are going to purchase Mach3 as soon as we can jog our steppers on the demo). Because this computer doesn't have an onboard parallel port, we purchased a PCI-Express card with the AX99100 chipset, drivers are installed and it appears as LPT1 under 0x3010, I verified this in Device Manager and using Parallel Port Tester, a piece of freeware I found while I was troubleshooting this issue.

The problem I run into is once I plug my breakout board into the parallel port on the computer, it appears as those all 3 boards are trying to be driven at the same time, but not enough to turn the motors. You can hear a slight whine from them while it's plugged in with no movement. As well, the moment I plug it in or take it out of the computer, all 3 motors step a single time.

I have X step wired to pin 2, dir to pin 3, Y step to 4, dir to 5, and Z step to 6, dir to 7. This is reflected in the "Ports and Pins" configuration of Mach3 as well. Port #1 is 0x3010, I also set Port # for Step/Dir ActiveLo to 1. I enabled ActiveLo for both as I believe this is what the boards need, but I have tried every combination of Step/Dir ActiveLo being On/Off, and the issue is the same everytime.

I believe the issue may be the PCI card I am using, but I am not 100%. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have been working on this daily for a week or two now.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble Interfacing with Mach3 via Parallel Port
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 01:52:33 AM »
have you checked the outgoin voltage of the PCI board at he pin's.

Sound like you have a 3.3V Version instead of 5V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uglCm_qsojk
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 05:43:03 PM »
have you checked the outgoin voltage of the PCI board at he pin's.

Sound like you have a 3.3V Version instead of 5V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uglCm_qsojk

After testing my card this is definitely the issue I am having. The only PCI slots on my computer are 32-bit 3.3V. I have another computer with 5V 32-bit rails, for you have any recommendations as to a good card to get? I don't want to cheap out like I did with this Amazon card.

Also, I was IP banned after making this thread, the only post I've ever made in this forum. After reviewing the community guidelines and registration terms again I have absolutely no idea what I did to be IP banned, but either way I'm on a new IP and new account to continue this thread. If anyone can guide me to getting in contact with forum moderators as well I'd appreciate it.
Experienced with computer science and electrical engineering, brand new to mechanical engineering and machining. Having fun learning every day :)

yr1979 Bridgeport Boss Series 1 w/ yr2000 Textron 3-axis CNC  retrofit, Larken Cobra Stepper Drives

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 01:15:32 AM »
This thread may be of interest when determining 5V or 3V PCI cards;  https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=34848.msg239910#msg239910

I have sent you a PM regarding the IP ban.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 02:48:56 PM »
This thread may be of interest when determining 5V or 3V PCI cards;  https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=34848.msg239910#msg239910

I have sent you a PM regarding the IP ban.

Tweakie.

Thanks for the help, I ordered the A25 card from CNC4pc after, I was also able to verify I have 5V PCI rails available.  :)

I will update this thread when I get the card in as well
Experienced with computer science and electrical engineering, brand new to mechanical engineering and machining. Having fun learning every day :)

yr1979 Bridgeport Boss Series 1 w/ yr2000 Textron 3-axis CNC  retrofit, Larken Cobra Stepper Drives