Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:28:12 AM

Author Topic: I give up!  (Read 9765 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: I give up!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 03:28:39 AM »
Fred the easiest thing to do is put the meter on the end of the cable that conects to the breakout (but disconected from it)  put the meter to pin 2 and ground then  set up Pin 2  on port 2 as Output 4 in the outputs page. Open the VB script editor from the Operator menu in Mach  and put this into it and press the green arrow, you should see the voltage change for 2 seconds then back again.

ActivateSignal (OutPut4)
Code "G4P2"
While Ismoving
Wend
DeActivateSignal (OutPut4)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 03:34:02 AM »
Also I dont know about your breakout but it may be similar to the PMDX122 in that if you want to use Pins 2 to 9 as Inputs you need to set jumpers on the breakout.

Oh also if you use Pin 2 like I suggested above you will need to take the tick out of the Pins 2-9 as Inputs box. It might be easier just to set the pin for output 4 as pin 16 on port 2 and measure between it and ground.
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 09:44:34 AM »
Hood

I have two break out boards in my machine and all my tests show I'm not getting the signal through this second board. Both of my break out boards are from CNC in Florida, the first being an older style and this second one is a newer design. My "MPG" works fine running on the old board on port 1 so after much testing I sent back the new board and he replaced without any problems but now I have the same results, nothing! I don't get the signal through the new board, because the pulses are so fast I wonder if this new board could be filtering them out?

Fred
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 10:07:39 AM »
Hood

Sorry, I just saw your last two posts.

Yes this new board has a jumper which I have set for pins 2-9 to be inputs. In fact this board has a diagram showing the hook-up for a MPG in this manner. Should be simple, well maybe, but not in my case. Unfortunately I wasted most of the weekend with this problem and now I need to do such things as mow the lawn, but later today I will try your test. Although from previous testing everything indicates the second printer board and cable are now working fine. With nothing coming through the breakout board.

Fred

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 01:06:49 PM »
Just another idea as a test, try using  some of the normal inputs (10,11,12,13,15) on your breakout to hook up the MPG, this will let you know if they at least are working.

Hood
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 04:28:50 PM »

Hood

I did as you suggested by putting my MPG on to pins 12 and 13 of this second break out board and now it works. Great!!!!! So much for the instruction sheet for this board and I’m not sure what I can do with these other pins.

There is one thing; when I use the MPG the “Y” axis is backwards from what I think it should be. I guess I’ll just have to get use to it or mark something on it so I don’t forget. Being an old Bridgeport man I crank before I think!

Well, anyway thank you for your patience and a job well done. I must say you didn’t give up, “you where like a dog on a bone” you kept up until the job was done. Again I “Thank you!”

Fred

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 05:02:15 PM »
Glad you got it working.
Just for kicks put a voltmeter on one of the pins from 2-9 and connect the other end to ground, do you see a voltage?
Hood

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 06:00:16 PM »
Hi, Fred

Reg: "When I use the MPG the “Y” axis is backwards from what I think it should be".

In your Ports and Pins, Motor Outputs, Are all your Axises set to the same Dir LowActive, ether X or Checked ? (thy should all be the same)

In Motor Home/Soft Limits, Reversed Box should be used to change Axis Direction?

If this doesn't fix it, You need to swap your stepper motor wires on the rev axis to solve this, (4 wire stepper, Swap A & A-), ( 5-6 wire stepper, Swap 1234

to 4321), Then un-check the Rev. Box.

I've sent you a PM (top of this page, User Info) or PM your Phone #.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »
Hey guys ( HOOD) if u are out there I know it has been a while since this post has been active I am trying to add a mpg to my pc using a 2nd printer port. My 1st printer port is for controlling my cnc machines control box and the 2nd is for the mpg . After setting up the settings in mach 3 demo it will only let me use the dial on the mpg I have to use the selector switches on the tab menu if I want to changes axis or resolution can some one help please
Cadcam Man

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 12:21:42 PM »
You will need some "brains".

Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.