Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:36:06 PM

Author Topic: Need Help Connecting USB CNC Board to Mach3  (Read 2130 times)

Need Help Connecting USB CNC Board to Mach3
« on: November 18, 2020, 08:59:44 PM »
I don't know if this is the right discussion to be posting this on but I need serious help connecting my USB board to Mach3. Here's some information about my machine: My machine is a 3018 3 Axis DIY CNC Machine (not the pro) and it comes with a USB board that also controls the motors like the x, y, z, and the spindle motors.
HERE'S THE PROBLEM: I watched the first video on the Artsoft Video tutorials and it said to find out the right ports and pins to assign to the machine comes with the Machine when you bought it. AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM. My machine is DIY and it happens to come from China so there is no instruction guide on how to hook it up to Mach3 whatsoever.
PLEASE HELP in anyway you can.

- KaiSir

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Connecting USB CNC Board to Mach3
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 01:08:52 AM »
Your USB board needs a Mach3 Motion Controller 'Plugin' in order to operate. If you do not have this plugin then the USB board is useless as far as Mach3 is concerned and it needs to be replaced. As your USB board also contains the stepper drivers then they need to be replaced as well.
As Mach3 is now obsolescent you should look for replacement parts that are also compatible with Mach4 (the ESS from Warp9 and the G540 from Gecko would be good but they are not cheap).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 02:14:20 AM »
to help we Need some more Information.

Pictures are allways a good start, to get an overview of your Equipment.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 05:05:29 PM »
Here is my USB board I will send more pictures if you would like i have already downloaded multiple plugins but none have recognized the board when I use them in Mach3.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 01:10:00 AM »
Sorry, but it is as I suspected, that board will not operate with Mach3.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 05:43:49 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »
Thanks! That would explain why everything I've tried has not worked lol. I have a question, should I upgrade to Mach4, and if so, what board should I buy that will run my CNC as well?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 01:02:21 AM »
Only you can decide if Mach4 is the way to go but as mentioned earlier the ESS from Warp9 and the G540 from Gecko would be a good combination which are good for both Mach3 and Mach4.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 09:21:46 AM »
Sorry to take more of your time, but could you link the equipment you suggested?

Thanks,
 - Kai

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 10:00:39 AM »
The ESS details are here; https://www.warp9td.com/
The G540 details are here; https://www.geckodrive.com/g540-4-axis-digital-stepper-drive.html

(They are not the only quality products available but I use them both and the manufacturer's backup and support is second to none).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 06:47:10 PM »
Hey again, It's been awhile but I just bought this USB board from eBay and I'm wondering, it doesn't have the same port like the other board did, so I'm unsure how to connect it to this board. The plug that went into this port was for the spindle motor. (The port I'm talking about and the plug that goes in the port are the first two images below and the third image is the new board I bought.) If it's possible to cut the wire and wire it to the board maybe you could show me how?

Thanks,
- Kai