Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 12:27:34 PM

Author Topic: New DIY CNC with MACH4 ESS/MB3 and clearpath servo  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Darko

•  13 13
    • View Profile
New DIY CNC with MACH4 ESS/MB3 and clearpath servo
« on: November 07, 2020, 11:25:04 PM »
I am slowly inching forward in building my first cnc.

I'm using ESS/MB3 combo with clearpath CPM-SDSK-3421S-RLS motors.

I am almost finished installing hard stops. I have temporarily wired all motors to the board, and tuned all motors with clearpath software. I have also calibrated the distance in motors so one inch in mach4 is 1 inch on the table.

What I would like to do primarily is repeated jobs (G54), so my question is;

How do I set up and wire the limit switches, home switches, and Estop?

I am assuming I need 6 limit switches and 3 homing switches. 2 switches per axis for limit and 1 per axis for home. Should estop be wired directly to the MB3 board or wired with limit switches?
How do I wire HLFB + and - from motors for homing?

I was going to use these switches for limit and homing, Is this ok?

https://www.amazon.com/ME-8108-Adjustable-Roller-arduino-Switch/dp/B07D48YKL4/ref=sr_1_36?dchild=1&fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1604807485&refinements=p_72%3A1248921011&rnid=1248919011&s=industrial&sr=1-36&th=1

What is the best way to go about this? Electronics and electrical schematic is not my thing so I'm struggling reading and understanding ESS and MB3 manuals

A short video of machine working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRLgxlfZYLQ&feature=youtu.be

Appreciate any help I can get to get this going!

Darko

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: New DIY CNC with MACH4 ESS/MB3 and clearpath servo
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 03:09:50 AM »
Those switches will work fine.  The roller switches are usually used in with ramps.  Nice build, BTW.  :) 

5 limit switches and 3 home switches.  There usually isn't a lower limit switch on the Z axis because when the spindle has a tool inserted, it can't reach the lower limit anyway without drilling into the table. 

On machine tools, the limits are usually wired as normally closed and the ESS limits are setup to be active low.  That way if the limit switch wire is damaged, the machine stops. 

E-Stop is usually wired into the power circuit that runs the drives/motors.  Without power, motors will stop!  So hitting the e-stop button should interrupt/cut the power to the drives/motors.  The power circuit might also include a relay allows the ESS to monitor the circuit.  That way both ESS and Mach may be updated as to the state of the e-stop button (ISIG_EMERGENCY in the mach signals).

Steve