Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:13:13 AM

Author Topic: mach 3 homing issue  (Read 1856 times)

mach 3 homing issue
« on: October 23, 2020, 01:16:12 PM »
howdy folks, i just recently moved my shop to a new location. my small cnc router is a custom build that i have been running almost flawlessly for over 2 years. it is controlled by a CNC Router Parts(now Avid CNC) Nema 23 plug and play control system with ESS and Mach 3 interface board(BOB). the control box has always been plugged into a surge protector power strip being shared with a monitor. i would always turn the system on with the power switch on the power strip, leaving the toggle switch on the controller always in the 'on' position. well, i used the power switch on the control box 2 or 3 times the other day setting things up and that 'made in china' switch failed...it is an EMI filter/power switch. i was able to bypass it and power up the machine.
next issue after that was immediate, i was unable to reset mach 3 as it was getting an e-stop error. i researched here and changed my e-stop setting to active low in Config>ports and pins>input signals...that worked! yay
now, i can't home my machine as each axis will just crash into the limit sensors without stopping. no light visible on the sensor when it should be.

is it possible that the power switch damaged something when it failed? is the lack of the EMI filter/power switch allowing some type of 'noise' to to interfere with the homing function? any help on this would be highly appreciated...i am down to one machine and busy season is upon us. thanks in advance. Dan
Re: mach 3 homing issue
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 09:32:15 AM »
very curious. why won't anyone reply? :)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »
You have to give it a bit of time, in particular Friday is always quiet perhaps Saturday is also.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »
understood. thank you Tweakie!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 01:14:05 AM »
Hi Dan,

I think you need to reinstate the EMI filter (or fit another). It seems that electrical noise is causing problems with your inputs circuits (Estop, limits, etc.).
You could also increase the inputs noise filtering within your ESS setup (check the ESS documentation for details).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 08:28:05 AM »
Yes, kinda seems obvious but i am not very very experienced in this field yet. that same switch is no longer available. i will see what i can come up with. thank you for your reply. Dan
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 09:31:41 AM »
I have found a possible replacement switch/filter...one issue. The old switch is rated for 15A, the 'new' one is rated for 10A.  this system is running 4 nema 23 stepper motors and a 2.2kw air cooled chinese spindle, will 10A be enough?
unfortunately i am running into serious issues over what should be a simple fix, not to mention the down time during my busy season.
This is for a plug and play system from Avid Cnc...they seem unable to provide any support for their systems. Does anyone here have a suggestion on/when replacing this control system for something new. thank you in advance, dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 02:03:37 AM »
Hi Dan,

The EMI filter is the improtant thing to replace, the switch is secondary.

I would be inclined to obtain a => 15A filter, fit that and test the system, then find and fit a suitable switch.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 08:23:29 AM »
I installed the new 10A emi filter/switch...i had already ordered it so i figured i should try it. No luck! control system powers up, resets, but when i try to home each axis the limit switches are not responding. I am in the dark at this point and already losing business at my busiest season...aaarggghhh! any advice? thank you
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 01:13:18 PM »
tweakie, i am not getting 24v to my proximity sensors. the i/o board that is mounted on top of my ESS board has proper outputs going to everything but my sensors.
do you think the i/o board could have been damaged when my power switch went bad? thank you for any reply. dan