Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:54:26 PM

Author Topic: M10/M11 Control  (Read 4447 times)

M10/M11 Control
« on: September 26, 2020, 04:59:30 AM »
Hi Everyone. Newbie here. This might be a dumb question but how do I set up Mach3 to recognise and react to M10 and M11 commands. I remember seeing a Youtube video that showed the Settings page with the M10 and M11 commands on it but have not been able to find it again. Can anyone help please.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: M10/M11 Control
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 05:45:18 AM »
It varies depending on the motion controller being used but…

The command M11P1 turns ON Output#1 and the command M10P1 turns OFF Output #1 (the P number refers to the Output# number)
The Port and Pin of the Output# is defined and Enabled in Config / Ports and Pins / Output Signals.

The M11Px / M10Px commands must always be followed by an axis (any axis) move for them to take effect.

You will need to be using the latest Mach3 version.

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 07:36:12 AM »
OK. Thanks. I will give that a try. I am running a Warp9 ESS with a 5 axis BOB.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 07:50:17 AM »
The M11 / M10 is set-up in the ESS config. Check the Warp9 documentation for details.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 10:33:59 PM »
Thanks Tweakie. Really appreciate your help. Found it in the Plugin Config Menu. Now we are good to go.
Doug
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 06:50:20 PM »
Hi. Need help again please. First the back story.
Got the CNC up and running with new Warp9 ESS board and 5 axis breakout board to use the router.
Works great so tried to set up for the laser using a separate 5V relay and the M10/M11 commands.
The router is controlled by the BOB relay so I removed the jumper that controls the relay to be able to use pin 17 (B dir).
Could get the M10/M11 commands to switch pin 17 between high and low but when I tried to use that to control the 5V relay it wouldn't operate.
I then replaced the jumper for the on board relay but couldn't get the router to work again. Replaced BOB and the router started working again.
I guess I did some damage to BOB so my question now is how do I connect a relay to operate with the M10/M11 commands without disabling the router.
Can I use a separate BOB on port2 of the ESS for just the M10/M11?
Have searched the web and this forum but with little success. Attached pic of BOB.
Thank you for your patience and help.
Doug

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 01:38:32 AM »
Hi Doug,

The M11/M10 commands were created for devices such as lasers which need to be switched ON/OFF rapidly in order not to produce excessive burn at the start and end of engraved lines.
If you use a relay to control your laser beam then the relay switching delay will cause extremely poor results.
You should be switching your laser power ON/OFF manually or by using a relay and the M3/M5 commands (with suitable spin-up (power up) delay) then controlling your laser beam ON/OFF switching by it’s TTL input and the M11/M10 commands with a direct connection between your Output# Pin and the laser control board (no relay).

I appreciate that it has perhaps become too big but take a skip through this thread as all the information you need is there somewhere;   https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=12444.0

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 03:45:06 AM »
Thanks Tweakie.
I had a read through most of that thread and it covers a CO2 laser. The one I have is a 30W diode(?) laser (pic attached) so maybe I am trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
I am still on a steep learning curve here so greatly appreciate your advice.
Are there control boards available for the type of laser I have (as you describe in your last post) or is a CO2 laser the only practical alternative.
I would like to be able to cut up to 3mm plywood as well as engrave.
Thanks
Doug

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 04:25:38 AM »
Hi Doug,

Nice looking laser that you have.

The laser switching is the same if it’s CO2 or Diode it is probably just expressed differently.
Your laser has to be turned ON by applying power to the 12V+ and GND terminals then the beam switched ON and OFF by applying a PWM signal between the PWM and GND terminals.

If the laser beam is activated without any PWM connection then the logic is Active High (connecting the PWM terminal to GND will turn the beam OFF).

So…
For initial tests connect your laser PWM to your Output#1 Pin and GND to your BoB GND. Enable the Mach3 Output#1 Pin and set to the Pin number you have chosen Active High (if appropriate from above paragraph). Apply the 12V power to the laser.
Now run a test Gcode - perhaps Trispokedovetiles(laser).tap in the .zip file here; https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=18345.msg126486#msg126486

The above should switch the laser ON/OFF at full power.

There are various ways to control the laser power and the easiest I have found is to gate the Mach3 PWM signal with the M11/M10 signal and this is described here;  https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=12444.msg265104#msg265104

Cutting plywood is tricky as the bonding glue causes many problems. Air assist (at reasonable pressure) is usually required to keep the kerf free from carbon and mess from the glue. However, there is a special Laser Ply which does cut a lot easier than standard stuff but it still requires practice to get a nice clean cut.
Your Diode laser should be perfectly OK for cutting plywood (the feed-rate needs to be adjusted accordingly) you just need to practice.

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.   

PEACE
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 04:47:03 AM »
That more than helps. Answers most of my questions. Thanks heaps.
Appreciate the tip about the plywood.
Looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me and it makes a lot more sense now.
Doug