Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:59:15 PM

Author Topic: PLEASE! Newbie needing help!  (Read 2568 times)

PLEASE! Newbie needing help!
« on: September 16, 2020, 08:23:15 AM »
Hey everyone! First off let me say thanks for reading this. And I look forward to anything you can help me with.

I am brand new to cnc routing. I have never done anything in Cad, Cam etc. I own a woodworking business and have always wanted a machine. So I bit the bullet and bought a ChinaCNCZone 6090 machine with 4 axis from a local estate auction. It came with a Dell PC which has Mach3 on it and the machine came with a bunch of bits. I have done some research into Mach3 and I think I know how to start using it. I want to make signs, various shapes for cutting boards and the like. Only thing is how the heck do I design things and get them into Mach3?

I currently don't have more funds for to purchase software. From what I believe the previous owner must have had the design software on the office PC which was also sold at the auction. I was looking at V-Carve Pro but dang expensive. Though it looks like an all in 1 program for what I want to do. But that also looks like it needs a PC not a Mac. I was hoping to do the designing separately on my Mac. As I won't have internet in the shop where the PC will be.

Others I have seen are Fusion360. I downloaded that program to try. But it doesn't look like I can do what I want in it. Every video I see about making signs in it. They start off by saying they made it in something else and imported it into fusion.

Someone mentioned Easel. But they said it does 2.5 D not 3d? Which I think means it doesn't run smoothly all at once in multiple directions? And it doesn't sound like it will do 4 axis either.

Someone else said Sketchup. Haven't looked into that yet.

Basically I'd like something for now (until I get more accustomed to the machine and Mach3) that is free and dumbed down a little for this newbie. Something that I can carved signs, plaques etc with words and designs. Especially 3d design, not just letters. Carve out various shapes (I.E.crabs, fish) Shapes I can either design or trace and then scan into for conversion.

Please can anyone help?! Thanks again so much for the read and any help given.

Tim Schwarz
Love Of The Grain Workshop

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE! Newbie needing help!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 08:39:50 AM »
I currently don't have more funds for to purchase software.

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

You will need a little extra cash for the purchase of the Mach3 license which can be obtained from here;  https://www.machsupport.com/shop/mach3/

Perhaps take a look at the free software from Scorch Works; http://scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html & http://www.scorchworks.com/
that should get you started.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:42:26 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 09:07:58 AM »
Thanks for the Scorch tip! As far as the Mach3 license. The PC already has it installed from the previous owner. Do I need to buy a license for it? I've essentially bought it from them with the machine right?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 10:01:00 AM »
I have sent you a PM regarding the license terms.

Tweakie.
PEACE