Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:19:33 AM

Author Topic: Z axis inconsistent movement  (Read 2949 times)

Re: Z axis inconsistent movement
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 05:46:20 PM »
Perhaps one more test you could do is zero your Z axis to a gauge block (any solid block would do) – carefully slide out the block – run your test 100 times – slide in the block – measure the gap with feeler.

This would verify the integrity of your dial indicator.

Tweakie.

I have set up as you suggested and I only run the Z10 Z0 code 20 times without moving the block as my problem is consistently creeping up. By using a feeler gauge the result had about 0.05 error so average out it had about 0.0025mm error each time it run.

with the same setup, Z5 Z10 Z0 code made almost no error as I do not have a feeler gauge small enough to fit the gap if there is any.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 05:49:37 PM by UCCAPE »

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 08:30:37 PM »
This may not be useful information but some time back we had a similar problem to this and it turned out to be this:-

The machine was setup with 10 microsteps and low power standby, when the axis stopped moving it instantly went into low power mode and the motor snapped to the nearest full step. on restarting the motor continued from the full step point, we killed the power down mode and everything went back to working properly.

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 08:47:28 PM »
This may not be useful information but some time back we had a similar problem to this and it turned out to be this:-

The machine was setup with 10 microsteps and low power standby, when the axis stopped moving it instantly went into low power mode and the motor snapped to the nearest full step. on restarting the motor continued from the full step point, we killed the power down mode and everything went back to working properly.

power down mode? where can I find that option?

thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 03:17:47 AM »
I have set up as you suggested and I only run the Z10 Z0 code 20 times without moving the block as my problem is consistently creeping up. By using a feeler gauge the result had about 0.05 error so average out it had about 0.0025mm error each time it run.

with the same setup, Z5 Z10 Z0 code made almost no error as I do not have a feeler gauge small enough to fit the gap if there is any.

I think Graham may have solved the mystery so lets hope the cure is a simple fix.

Which motion controller are you using ?

What make and model is your stepper driver for the Z axis ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 07:24:32 PM »

I think Graham may have solved the mystery so lets hope the cure is a simple fix.

Which motion controller are you using ?

What make and model is your stepper driver for the Z axis ?

Tweakie.

Hi

I can not find the options for low power standby or power-down option. can you please give me some direction on where that setting is?

I bought it from china-cncrouter dot com have no clue what is the motion controller and the stepper is just what came with the machine as well

thanks

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
Add to the topic I have also tried swap the Z stepper on to X-axis and Y-axis controller and it gives me no error running the code.

so that gives me

no error in Z stepper
  • it has tried with  Z5 Z10 Z0 code with no error
    it has tried with the x-axis andy-axis controller and with X10 X0 code give me no error

that leave's with me only when I do Z10 Z0 code with error. must be a setting in MACH3 or a software issue.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 12:53:13 AM »
that leave's with me only when I do Z10 Z0 code with error. must be a setting in MACH3 or a software issue.

or a bad z-axis controller
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 01:07:56 AM »

or a bad z-axis controller

I do not think so as this controller give me an accurate Z5 Z10 Z0 motion.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 01:27:53 AM »
Hypothetically…

When a stepper assumes the nearest whole step position (from it’s current microstep position) it generally rotates the shortest distance.
If your Z move form 0 to 5 created a positive error and the move from 5 to 10 created a negative then one error would cancel the other.

Without knowing the actual equipment you are using I can only speculate. Perhaps post some detailed pictures of you controller and the associated electronics.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 10:04:50 AM »
I do not think so as this controller give me an accurate Z5 Z10 Z0 motion.

if you do Z5 Z10 Z0 the axis will not come onto Speed upwards, so if the Controller is not able to provide the
required current, it may be enought for doing the small step's but not for higher Speed.

give us some Pictures of your Controllers. pls.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.