Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:25:24 AM

Author Topic: My Mach 3 is set to native units of MM, but when I tram the DRO gives it in inch  (Read 1181 times)

It needs to be known I have switched back and forth and have finally settled on MM to be the native unit, and have adjusted all my limits, etc., to reflect that.

I have rebooted, even turned my computer off, but I can't get the DRO to read out in MMs. 

When I load "G0 X1" it actually physically moves 1 mm, yet the readout is still in inches. Same with all axes.
I listened to the video on initial Mach 3 setup and I believe it said you had to set up the initial MM vs INCHES and set motor tuning according. So, I went back and made sure the innate measurement was set to MM, and then I reset all the motor tunings and limits distances according to metric distances.

But when when I do the command "G0 X1" it goes one inch instead of 1mm.

How do I get this thing to the metric system?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Make sure the initialise string has G21 and NOT G20

Without engineers the world stops
Mine only says G80.
I have the native units to set to MM, and I set up the limits with MM.  I even have "Lock DRO to native units" checked in the config, but it still shows inches when I move.

I think I set up the motor units in MM, but I did get them from another guy who said he did. But the more I look at them they look like they are in inches.

Steps: 1277
Velocity: 154.98
Acceleration: 300

If they are, how do I convert them to metric?  I already have the machine set to native metric and when I plug them back in, I think the machine still interprets them as standard, if that is what is happening.

If I

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
What is the pitch of the screws and the ratio of the motor to the screw 1:1 if direct drive.

What step count is set on the drives 1 (200), 1/2 (400), 1/4 (800) etc.

We can then help you work it out.

Without engineers the world stops
I believe the lead pitch screw is 8.  It is direct drive.

The step count is 800.

I have set the steps to "100" before and it will only tram about an 1/8 of an inch and spring back. 

Your help is much appreciated!