Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:01:13 AM

Author Topic: Probing  (Read 1438 times)

Probing
« on: August 28, 2020, 11:12:46 AM »
I have been building a new machine to offset Covid Blues and have got it up and running however in configuring my probe I have run into an issue. I hit the XY calibration and get a Z up move and retract to start then it throws an error stating Probe0 Never hit or the allowed distance was travelled however in never makes an X or Y movement.
What am I missing here...I went back to the config video and have all similar settings but in the video the movement begins and ends with X and Y motion while I have nothing but Z.
I have an ESS V.260 with MB3 and Mach4 .4517

Thanks !
John
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 11:15:19 AM by jmm2020 »
Re: Probing
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 10:18:14 PM »
I thought perhaps the crickets would run away if I added a video....
https://youtu.be/Qq56cz_p-GM
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 10:22:44 PM by jmm2020 »
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 11:19:49 PM »
The probing problems I have had with Mach4 are enough to make anyone crazy.   I have a different controller (Galil), but it will make you go mad.  The best advice I’ve seen is to try a gcode probing routine to see if that works.  If so, it’s a Mach script issue.  If not, it could be any number of things including electrical noise issues.  If it works fine one day and stops working the next, then you are in the same boat as I.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 10:47:01 PM »
Im with you, the probing script is absolute crap. I run M4 ESS on a MB2. I can get corner finding to work..ish, but bores, bosses and calibration are all no go.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 03:05:35 PM »
Did you switch off the "halt Mach on probing errors" on the probing page in ESS configuration?

Mike
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 05:22:42 PM »
I don't think ESS V260 has the option to prevent the probing from aborting but the latest V266 does.
I think some of Mach4 LUA code in the probing module is a bit dangerous. There are a number of places with G0 and G1 moves. I think these should all be G31 probe moves so that if the probe makes contact the motion stops. Start a probing operation with an incorrect work offset or probe length, then there is a high probability of crashing and damaging or destroying the probe. It would also be useful if the Probe screens had X, Y and Z axis DROs particularly with the option to display distance to go.
Keith